Greetings from a Puzzlemaker in Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Hi Folks,

Can't imagine how I missed this forum before!

I'm a fulltime puzzlemaker in Raleigh. I know, I know, weird job to say the least. Got into it about 5 years ago - bought a Japanese puzzlebox on EBay and thought it was the coolest thing ever. Started collecting puzzle boxes and interlocking puzzles. Found out quickly that the interesting designs are tough to find and very expensive b/c they are only made in limited numbers by individual craftsmen.

I was in San Diego working as a computer manager at the time, milking the GI Bill to the max at night school, and had never made anything in my life. Went down to Home Depot and bought a miter box and some 1" square stock. I remember not being able to figure out how to get the center out of a notch…I got the fact that I could make two cuts on the end, but the part in the middle had me stymied until I discovered chisels.

Anyway, I got hooked hard and fast and moved out of my apartment into a place across the street with a 1 car garage. Fortunately some dumb $%&* pulled out in front of me and totaled my old crapper motorcycle…I came out of it with sore balls from hitting the tank and a couple weeks later a check big enough to buy a tablesaw and some other tools.

My addiction only got worse when I discovered metal…took a semester at Wake Tech right before they shut the program down. So now I have a little Sieg mini-mill and lathe I retrofitted with DROs and my eye on a benchtop CNC mill and maybe a CNC router if I can find the room. Oh, also just got a laser cutter...man is that thing cool!

Here's some pics of my latest puzzle box...can you figure out how it opens? My customers didn't get the benefit of seeing the mechanism and it stumped a lot of them. I put in a couple red herrings but also a clue engraved on the bottom from Newton's Principea.

irmo1_l.JPG

CIMG1144.JPG

CIMG1146.JPG

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Eric to the friendliest site on the internet. It is good to have you and your puzzles.

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome. I'm guessing that the first step in opening it is to press down on the lighter square on top. Am I close?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Erik - welcome! It's always great to meet a fellow biker. Pretty clever mechanism - is that your own design?

Please keep on posting pix of your work - it's fascinating.

Scott

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
a clue engraved on the bottom from Newton's Principea.

Ah, Sir Isaac's fabled work, published in 1687. I know the date because when we moved to this house I searched the internet for historical trivia associcated with my address. The only thing that came up was Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica.

At first, I improperly pronounced it with the 'c' in Principea sounding like a an 'S', and later heard several learned folks on TV giving it the Italian language treatment (i.e., the 'c' sounds like 'sh').

Please share the quote you used, unless it's in the original Latin. Ah heck, even if it's Latin, share.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hello Eric,

Welcome to our sawdust pile. I'm glad you joined us. I'm not sure if we have any other puzzle makers. I think you've got the philosophy of the site... we love photos. I'd be interested in hearing more about the puzzles. (and maybe a few photos too...)

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Eric, I am glad that you could join us. I beleive that we've met briefly at Woodcraft a year or two ago, while it was at it's former location. I think I have also seen some of your work show cased there. Braffled the heck out of me...I love it. I look forward to your input in the forums, seeing some more of your work, and maybe picking your brain for some of the secrets.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Eric and thanks for showing us some of your work as part of your into! Fascinating stuff!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Have fun and by all means keep the pictures coming!

I am looking forward to learning more about the puzzle business!

Wayne

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Thanks for the friendly welcome!

Cathy, the lighter square does move, but laterally not vertically. It's not part of the solution though; just something there to throw off the solver. I decided to be helpful and embedded a couple magnets pairs, one opposing and one attracting, on adjacent sides. That way when the solver moves the panel, they feel resistance and think it's doing something :mrgreen:

Yup, I design all my puzzle boxes Scott! Next one will be based on a do nothing toy, and will be called the "Do Something Box".

Jim, the Newton quote is pulled from his third definition regarding the vis insita.

Dave, I think we may have met but I think you may be referring to my buddy Bart Buie's puzzles at woodcraft. They're in the little case under the log by the register and have been there *forever*. Funny I ended up moving here because I used to correspond with Bart when I was just starting out. He taught me about bleached wenge!

Finally, if ya'll want pictures, here's a TON! (Not all the work is mine; I share the site with several other artists).

http://www.cubicdissection.com/html/purchase/discont/discontindex.html

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Welcome to NCWW Eric. The puzzles are astounding!! Makes my head hurt just thinking about making one. Definitely not MY calling. Keep up the good work and I wish you great success in the future.

Jerry

nelsone

New User
Ed
Welcome to the site! What a fascinating activity. I'm sure you won't divulge too many of your secrets, but I hope you will give us some steps in creating a basic puzzle! A small tutorial would be awesome!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome, Eric! This is the best WWing site on the whole WWW! Friendly folks always willing to help. Don't hesitate to jump into the fray...

Puzzles have always intrigued AND stumped me! I look forward to your contributions to the site...

sawduster

New User
Robert
Welcome Eric to the friendliest group of folks you will ever meet !!
I shy away from puzzles, daily life being a big enough challenge for me these days :gar-La; , but I am impressed with your work man :eusa_clap

A basic tutorial would be kewl :icon_thum

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome to the site Eric,

I think it's a neat little niche that you have there. We are a great bunch here and are always doing things in the real world together, feel free to join in any time. If you get a chance try making it to the sites picnic on May 17th. I hope to meet you soon.

Jimmy:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome Eric! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That is an interesting trade that you've fallen into. I was going to suggest opening the box with a crow bar, but it just looks too nice. :BangHead: :rotflm:

Trent :icon_bigg

sapwood

New User
Roger
It's great to welcome another uniquely talented member to NCWWer :icon_thum
Hope you enjoy the site. We are a friendly bunch and the regional aspect of the site affords opportunities for personal interaction in addition to virtual.

Cheers,
Roger

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site and unveiling such beautiful work in your initial post. Puzzles have always fascinated me (I spent hours many years ago with the famous Rubik's Cube before I finally solved it), but it is nice to see your creativity on both the outside and inside.

Since I believe the translation of the inscription means "in plain site", I believe the magnets are the true clue. To open this box top, I'm guessing that you hold the box vertically (top up) in line`with the axis of your arm and then you twist your wrist rapidly to move the magnets away from their N-S attraction. Momentum of the "twist" opens the latch mechanism. Am I close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors