Got a Start on Xmas 2008 Gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Bought me some maple, cherry and walnut and decided on putting together some more endgrain cutting boards for this years Christmas gifts.

CB2.jpg

They are fun to make, but by golly you have to really like sanding!!!:eusa_doh::eusa_doh::BangHead::BangHead: (And make sure that you have a good supply of glue!)

I just applied two coats of mineral oil for now. As Xmas nears, I will add a couple of coats of mineral oil/bee's wax blend and shine 'em up.

Wayne

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
great looking cutting boards
love the look, and great wood choices.
what size are they?

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wayne, Great job!!! :thumbs_up The only negative comment I can make is that you are making me look bad. Those are on my today list.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne those look great. I am sure they will be very appreciated gifts.
So when's Xmas this year :icon_scra:5dunce:

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Wayne, very nice work. You should get a lot of Christmas cheer from those. The quality of the woodworking is awesome to say the least.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Very nice Wayne. One of these days I'm going to make a couple of those. I like the wood selection and pattern. I agree with DaveO....is Christmas still in December. If so, I'd better get busy.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Those look great Wayne! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I really like the wood choice. I look forward to trying a cutting board sometime. :icon_thum Does seem like a lot of sanding would be involved though. :eusa_doh:

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Those came out wonderful Wayne! It's for those kinds of projects I'd want to have a drum sander. But, with a little elbow grease you can get great results too.

J

jeff...

ok how'd you do it? I see a bunch of endgrain man that musta took some time to cut all those little blocks and glue them all together... Nice Wayne, real nice, to nice to hack up with a butcher knife that's for sure.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Man O Man those are kewl ! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Can you tell us how you did it or is it a secret ?

Awesome work !! :icon_thum:icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Robert I do believe that design is from the Oct 2006 issue of Wood Magazine. In fact I have my copy open as I type.
:wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Jeff and Robert,

Scott is correct. Out of the October '06 Wood Magazine.

I start with face gluing strips of cherry, maple and walnut approximately 36" long...

I then crosscut into 24 - 1 1/4" strips and lay them out face grain up....

Every other piece is then flipped end-to-end and face glued once more ( glued up 8 slices at a time to make it a little more manageable - to get it as flat as possible...

Finally, the edges are squared up and I start to scrape, sand, sand and more sanding until it is as flat as I can get it with 120 grit on my belt sander, then 150, 180 and 220 with the ROS.

You gotta like sanding!:gar-La;

Wayne

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Beautiful lookin boards - I like the pattern.

I'm not sure how I feel about folks like you that actually get Christmas gifts done BEFORE Christmas though. :rotflm: :rotflm:

(Written like a true procrastinator).

Chuck

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Great Job Wayne.:icon_chee
I really like the design and colour blend.:icon_thum
You know I was just talking with the wife last night about starting on X-Mas Presents.
I'll just have to kick myself in the pants and git cracking.:eusa_thin

I'm serious about the design, really cool.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Wayne, Read my post about using a rabbeting bit, with the bearing and stud removed, for a planer bit. You will most likely find that this will shorten your work load. You use a router, supported by a base that is a "bridge" and a pair of support rails. Shim and Capture cutting board. Do one side, then turn over and do the other side. You can make a "tray and use wedges to capture the board.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
I made 23 of them last year for Christmas, birthday and wedding gifts. After the first 3 or 4 I picked up a 16" drum sander and kicked myself for not doing it before. I now build the blanks, set them aside then run them through the sander in one session. I have put 8 of them through all the grits (from 60 to 220) while listening to a Panther's game on the radio.

Now if I could just find a way to oil all of them without making a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors