Got a new respirator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
My old respirator finally showed it's age and effectiveness and I had to get a replacement. Checking around a little to see what others are using, I came across a video of the Wood Whisperer and Mark was doing a review on the 3M brand 7500 half mask. I decided to get this model because I used to have one similar and it worked well for me back in the day. I had the cartridge filters that stuck out and always blocked a little of my sight. Mark mentioned about spending a couple extra dollars on the particle filter and get one that helps with odor as well so I went for it. It arrived in a few days and I gave it a try. I think I made a good choice.
Like I mentioned, 3M Half mask model 7500 with the 3M 2097 P-100 Particulate Filter with Organic Vapor Relief.
Photo on 2-15-17 at 10.02 AM (1).jpg

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting! Have you had any issues with your glasses fogging up while wearing the new respirator? That has been one of the biggest problems I've encountered with dust masks and some respirators.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
No issues with glasses Sam. I have not yet used it extensively yet, but usually as soon as I put something over my mouth and nose, the glasses will show sone signs of moisture. This mask is not supposed to do that due to the exhaust port facing down like your nose does naturally. Maybe that has something to do with helping it. Once I can give it a real good workout for an hour or to straight, I will be able to give a better report on the mask.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
They make a similar one (also mentioned on Marc's website) that flips down to quickly open it up without removing it entirely. To take a quick sip of coffee for instance - or just get a breath of fresh air between actual work. Might have been the 6500 but my memory fails me (as usual) right now. Uses the same filter style, etc. and looks very similar - it just has a lever in front that you pull down to open it up.

Found it:

https://smile.amazon.com/3M-Comfort...&qid=1487341284&sr=8-8&keywords=3m+respirator

Really like this one. I have another that forces fresh are through itself with a shirt pocket battery pack, but since getting this one I rarely use the other.

I also have a full face respirator with Chemical (think Ammonia and Chlorine) filters that I use when fuming QSWO that protects my eyes as well as my lungs.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting! Have you had any issues with your glasses fogging up while wearing the new respirator? That has been one of the biggest problems I've encountered with dust masks and some respirators.

Normally, when your glasses fog up, it is because the respirator is not sealing correctly around the nose. People with skinny noses like mine, or abnormally wide ones have the most problems, and usually have better luck with the softer silicone rubber ones than the harder firmer rubber. The other problem could be the size. To large usually leaks over the bridge of the nose between the eyes (top inside of the lens fogs). Too small usually leaks around the nostrils, which fogs the whole lens).

Another common mistake is the strap adjustment. Too tight can be as bad as too loose, because it distorts the mask. One way to check the fit is to remove the filters (if possible. Otherwise cover them with saran wrap) and wearing nitrile or latex gloves, hold them gently over intake holes to make a seal. You should be able to inhale in and create a vacuum in the mask that will hold when you stop inhaling. If it leaks, and the culprit is not the exhuast port diaphragm leaking, try adjusting the straps to correct the leak. After this exercise, cover the outlet port and exhale, The mask should bulge slightly before it breaks the seal and releases the pressure. This step makes sure the inlet diaphragms are sealing.

If you can't stop the leaks, you probably need a different size providing the leaks are not caused by facial hair (which is usually around the chin, not the nose)

Back a dozen years ago when I wore one daily for work, the 3M ones fit me better than the MSA. With my small head (size 7 hat size) and a narrow nose, the 3M 6200 series in a medium size fit me the best (if that helps as a reference).

Hope this helps
Go

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I had to wear the MSA mask way back when. Hated them. They were hard and the only way to get a good seal was smear Vaseline around the area that the mask was going to touch to get a good seal. I bought the medium half mask and it is silicone and not the hard rubber. I too wear a size 7 or even a 6 7/8" hat. I can say my mask does pass the test of checking for seal and feels good. It's a keeper for me.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Finding the right mask that is comfortable is the first step to actually using it when you should. And you should be using it in a lot of instances in the shop.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I just got one of those 3M respirators, and for once I can say it's all it's supposed to be. It works well, doesn't fog my glasses, seals well around my face, doesn't feel 'heavy' like some others I've used in the past, and looks well made. If you're looking... try this one out. Thanks for posting Frank!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS