Good Will Lathe Time!!! - Nominate Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
It is time to pass on the Good Will Lathe!

Since we have a lot of new members since the last hand-off, I will explain briefly. A couple of years ago Steve Coles, the founder of NCWW, receive a mini lathe and tools as a gift. After falling down the slippery slope of turning he got himself a full-size lathe. He then started the Good Will Lathe project. Basically priodically we ask the members to submit their name if they would like to take possession of the GWL for a few months. It comes with all you will need to start turning.

Sawduster has it right now, and we are hereby taking names for those of you that are interested in learning about turning. We usually dliver the lathe by Pony Express, so don't be shy if you are not in RTP or Charlotte. This is a terrific way to learn about an area of woodworking that you may not have tried.

The Board of Directors will review the names and choose the next person to receive it. Don't be too disappointed if it is not you as we keep passing it around.

Doug

P.S. Many members have been willing to provide instructions to the possessors of the GWL that live near them.

P.P.S. You can search NCWW for more information about the GWL.

timf67

New User
Tim
I would love to nominate myself, but I am already an addict! If I had known about this "program" I wouldn't have already invested in a NOVA chuck, wolverine jig, 8" slow speed grinder, and a small assortment of tools :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

That said however, I wouldn't mind trying out a different lathe - nothing against the one I got from Phil - but I am curious to see how big a difference the lathe can make...

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
I hereby nominate Peteb301. He has NEVER turned but has been down many other slippery slopes.
Promise to pass it on to the next interested person in better shape then when I borrow it. :eusa_danc
Also have never worked with round stuff only perfectly square (most of the time) expensive
hardwoods, don't do none of that soft stuff.
Willing to learn from anyone that has been down that slippery slope. Payment is usually
in the form of a liquid rereshment after all machines have been shut down.(BRIBE) Also may swap information on uses of square hardwoods as used in furniture.

Thank you for your monination and consideration. :eusa_booh

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I'll Nominate myself again. Still stuck turning pens on a mini lathe and looking to turn some bowls, etc... Hopefully it will convince the wife we do really need a fullsize lathe as she wants to learn to turn bowls as well...

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I join Doug and the remaining Board in encouraging anyone that is interested in the Goodwill lathe to enter themselves. We like a hard decision, so come on, make it tough for us to decide:gar-Bi:gar-Bi.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
He then started the Good Will Lathe project.
Actually, this was a brilliant plan concocted by Steve. He approached several people who manufacture lathes and lathe accessories, and finagled himself a deal where he got a fullsize lathe, chucks, turning tools etc. FOR FREE! In return, he'd start this "Good Will Lathe" program, with the express purpose of getting people hooked onto turning and as a result spending thousands of dollars on new equipment. Same thing happened when I won the McFeely's screw assortment at the '08 picnic. A $30 investment led to $125 order of screws...

So let me tell you about this new "Good Will Harbor Freight Multi Function Tool" project :gar-La;

And no, not nominating myself :no:. Perhaps next year, when I have a working shop again :eusa_thin

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I can't nominate myself, because last year I got a decent lathe. :)
My previous experience was with a lousy lathe years earlier. I hope I don't ruffle any feathers, but I think you gotta give the most consideration to "never evers" to let them start with something decent the first time.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll second both Big Chisel and Kevin. Kevin was on the list last time and was passed over. The Big Chisel needs to go sliding.

Dave:)

Charlottend

New User
Brian
I'll throw my name into the ring, although I'm sure there are older and more active members. Gotta start somewhere :)

Would be cool to use some of that hawaiian wood Kalai had posted about.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Have been following this thread and I would like to clarify what my intent at the time was. Obviously, the BOD will now decide who and why someone will get the lathe, but at least I'd like this last chance to make sure my original intent is clear.

Here are the 2 threads that I started originally.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f22/good-will-lathe-7564/
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f22/good-will-lathe-pt-ii-7622/

The following is an excerpt and was my original statement of intent.

The lathe should go to a person like me. Someone who has been an active member of the site(whatever that means) who would like to try their hand at turning, without going to the expense of starting from scratch. But the lathe is not a permanent gift, it is a loan.

So when does the lathe get moved to the next person? The idea is that lathe is intended to learn how to turn, not become the personal property of the recipient. So once they have learned the basics, the lathe should be returned to North Carolina Woodworker for selection and delivery to the next person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS