Going LOW ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
This is my last ... at least for a little while. :gar-La;

Just picked this up from a gentleman in Raleigh (who I hope to get to join NCWW soon!). It's a Lie Nielsen Low Angler Smoother.
attachment.php

:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Now, in addition to a real workbench, you need to build a nice display cabinet so they don't get dusty!!!!

:wink_smil

p

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Now, in addition to a real workbench, you need to build a nice display cabinet so they don't get dusty!!!!

:wink_smil

p

Why do you think I got that glass door cabinet? :gar-La; Heck, I'm getting these things RUSTY from USE!

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Phillip, you were two steps ahead of me on that one! Now if Jeremy would only share his secrets to LN finds on CL???

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Man, you are on a roll. Nice score Jeremy! :eusa_danc

(I'm looking for a LV BU smoother if you come across one)

Chuck

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
VERY nice Jeremy! I do not own any LN planes yet, but I was spoiled after having the chance to use them at one of Bill Anderson's workshops. It was love at first sight........ with the Lie-Nielsen tools!!!

I was wondering, how do you coordinate your long distance deals on CL (payment form/shipment arrangements) to minimize risk?

Mike

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I was wondering, how do you coordinate your long distance deals on CL (payment form/shipment arrangements) to minimize risk?

If I'm buying on Craigslist, just as with eBay, I insist that the buyer accept PayPal. I usually counteroffer with a price that includes the PayPal charge. I also *require* that the seller and myself talk on the phone. For me, it sets a tone and I get to hear the person on the other end. A lot can be said by the conversation -- in fact, with good quality woodworking tools I find the other person to be much like myself and other NCWWers and very passionate about this work. So far, so good.

BTW - This plane was from SMC, though the seller is actually in Raleigh. SO even more comfort just knowing he was "close" and very active in the WWing community online.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thank you Jeremy (I just realized you had answered my question). That seems like a reasonable way for both parties to conduct long distance tool sales!

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
So, have you used it yet? I am curious how it compares to a 4 1/2. I put a 10 degree back bevel on my 4 1/2 since I have been working so much with the hard maple. I wondered how a low angle smoother would have worked.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Congrats on the new LA plane. I have it and love it. I bought an extra blade and sharpened it to a higher angle for highly figured woods.

Now... how did you get on the handtool bus?? The "Mr Give me a sander" is buying handplanes. LOL!!!!!!! Welcome to the handtool world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS