gluing flanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I'm looking for suggestions from the "artsy/crafty folks out there. I need to glue a piece of flannel to the inside of a jewelry box. What is the best glue to use?
Jim in Mayberry

Dcoop

New User
David
Jim, Check out a website called thistothat.com . It shows what type of glue to use for different material.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Jim, I would think one of the spray adhesives would work well.

Good to see you back on the boards. It's been awhile. Hope things are going well.

Bill

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Jim,
I just used 3M™ Super 77™ Multipurpose Spray Adhesive for gluing leather to wood and it works great. Jim

ehpoole

Ethan
Jim,
I just used 3M™ Super 77™ Multipurpose Spray Adhesive for gluing leather to wood and it works great. Jim

This would likely be my first choice as well... if in part because I usually keep it on hand for similar tasks. Because of the absorbency of the flannel, I would probably spray it on somewhat heavy, position the flannel piece and then go over the entire flannel piece and press it firmly into the glue to ensure solid contact with the glue.

This said, whenever you are in doubt, it is always best to create a small test piece before you do something permanent to your final project... just glue some flannel to another piece of wood prepared identically to that of your project, glue the flannel to it and allow it to sit for a few days to ensure the glue is fully cured... then see whether or not you can easily seperate the flannel without destroying it.

Another option for lining a jewelry box, aside from flannel, is flocking.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wouldn't think it would be any different than gluing felt into a jewelry box and that is commonly done. All the suggestions so far seem very good.

How's that for a non-answer.

- Ken.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
My only problem with 3M, which I have used on several different occasions, is that it is like contact cement - once it touches it can't be repositioned. I am only doing the bottom of the box and I would have to tape the sides to prevent the spray from getting on them. I think I am going with plain white glue. It shouldn't bleed through, at least not much, and it will allow me time to position the piece.
Thanks to all
Jim in Mayberry

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would cut a piece of paper the exact size to fit the box, spray both the paper and the cloth very lightly maybe two coats but thin and let dry between. Then stick the paper to the cloth. Now you can rub it down tight and be sure it is stuck well. Now trim the cloth to the edge of the paper. Flip it over and spray the back of the paper and lay it in the bottom of the box.

The paper makes the cloth stiff enough to trim exactly to size, lets you line up the grain of the cloth and makes the cloth easy to lay into the box.

toolferone

New User
Tom
Yes to what Mike said, but I use a piece of poster board or cereal box. I will glue the cloth to the cardboard, then cut it about 1/2" bigger all the way around the poster board, then wrap around the edge on to the back and glue it. It gives a nice finished rolled edge. When you cut the poster board leave a bit of room for the wrapped edge. Once done I use hot glue to fasten it to the box bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS