Glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wheels4life

New User
Zach
I need some advice or just some feedback on the types of glues and when and how to use them. Right now I am using Titebond II and it seems to be working fine! I was just wondering what everybody uses and their oppinions on them! Thanks,
Zach

DaveO

New User
DaveO
TB I & II are great general purpose PVA woodworking glues. II will give you water resistance over I. TB III is touted as having a longer open time, and is waterproof.
Polyurethane glues like Gorilla Glue are also good waterproof glues, and have a much longer open time than standard PVA glues. Hide glue is very traditional and reversible. Epoxies are great for bonding dissimilar materials, and have good gap filling properties. They also come in handy when clamping pressure is difficult to apply because they don't need the pressure that PVA glues require. Plastic resin glues are great for complicated glue ups due to their long open time. They also are not subjected to glue creep and are great for veneer work. CA glues are excellent for quick bonds, where you can only hold the pieces together, but it is a brittle bond and can't be used on stressed joints.

Here's a handy chart showing what I said in a form that makes sense :5dunce: :lol: From Wood magazine -

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/file.jhtml?item=/popups/glue_chart2

HTH, Dave:)

Last edited:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I agree with DaveO. One qualifier- I've used TB III and don't think it sets up and slower- I really had to hustle to assemble one of my shop doors. I haven't tested the waterproof claim.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Here's another breakdown of the different types and uses -

Strength is not an issue with most woodworking glues, because all the common ones are stronger than the surrounding wood in a well-made joint. These glues include aliphatic (common yellow woodworkers glue), polyurethane (Gorilla is a common brand), plastic resin (brown urea formaldehyde powder mixed with water), hide glue and epoxies. Glues that are not stronger than the surrounding wood include contact cement and hot melt glue.

For most glues to be stronger than the surrounding wood, though, they can not fill a gap between the two pieces of wood they join. There must be a thin layer of glue between two pieces of wood that would otherwise be touching. The exception to this is epoxy, which will fill huge voids and make an indestructible joint.

Choose a glue according to the convenience of using it. Here are circumstances wherein you ought to use and not to use each type:
  • Aliphatic- Use for most woodworking. Cleans easily with hot water. Low toxicity, if any. But, it grabs quickly so don't use it where your assembly will take a long time to put together, as in a carcass. For long open time use plastic resin glue. Most aliphatic glues have low water resitance when dry, so are not waterproof. But some formulations are watterproof.
  • Polyurethane- Expensive, non-water based glue. Must be cleaned with solvents like alcohol. Will fill very small gaps. Cures in a few hours when warm. Big advantage- it takes stains well so glue lines will be nearly invisible. Bonds other materials well to wood. Waterproof. Toxic.
  • Plastic Resin- Has a very long open time, hours in cooler temperatures, thus is the choice in situations where assembly takes a long time. Must set up overnight. Very water resistant, effectively waterproof. Contains formaldehyde, which is toxic.
  • Hide Glue- Traditional glue made from cow hides. Big advantage is that it can be disassembled with hot water to make repairs, which can be done with no other glue. Therefore it is the correct choice for proper work on antiques. Very quick grab time makes some assemble procedures go easily, others a nightmare. Not waterproof. Nontoxic.
  • Epoxies- These are a pain in the neck to use because they are not water soluable. You must use toxic solvents to clean them up. Any epoxy on the wood surface will ruin your finish. But, they fill gaps well, are waterproof, and seal wood against moisture like no other coating. Different formulations have different toxicities, most are very toxic.
  • Contact Cement- Not so strong, but grabs right away, making it the choice for some veneering and all laminate applications.
  • Hot Melt Glue Guns- Not so strong, but bonds quickly. Good for temporary things like making jigs where you just need a quick grab.
  • Cyanoacrylate Glues- "Crazy" glues. Instant bonding makes them useful for little repairs like replacing splinters. Toxic
Dave:)

2wheels4life

New User
Zach
Hey Dave! thanks for the great advice and the table! they will really come in handy when i need them! i will keep asking questions so i would be glad to hear from you again! Thanks again!
Zach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors