Gloss variations? sprayed pigmented lacquer - Update 2 - Op error?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have spray finished some shelving units, and their backs, with a primer and the white the Target EM6500 product. The result is fine when viewed head on (perpendicular) - no issues in coating. However when viewed in low angle bright light, it is clear that my work suffers from gloss level variations. Note that I stated MY work suffers, I doubt this is product issue (although it could be). Spraying with a Spray-it 33000 LVLP gun, setting the flow and fan about a high as I can get in order to provide wide coverage. Product thinned maybe 5% with water.

Hard to capture but the variation with a camera, but here is the best pic I was able to get.

Any ideas on what might be the issue - I don't know if the flatter sheen is the expected level, or the glossier. Variations most clearly seen on the far edge.
I have similar issues where I spot-patched, re-primed, and double coated with the EM6500. These areas have a flatter sheen than the surrounds.

In uses these pieces will never be viewed under that sort of lighting conditions - unless one is a contortionist - so in practical terms this is a 'non-issue'.
If I ever use this product on a piece of furniture that is free-standing, it will need to hold up to scrutiny under a wide variety of lighting conditions; theefore I want to understand how to spray it well...

Thanks

EDIT - Jeff Weiss' answer (Target) is found below in the thread - end EDIT
Edit 2 - further confirmation of Jeff's operator error hypothesis - see bleow

Gloss variations of EM6500.jpg

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Watching...
Again, there was a class (At Phil's? @Phil S) on spraying... it would be nice to revive that when thigs are somewhat back to normal?!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I suspect the higher gloss area received more paint which made those areas dry slower giving the paint more time to flow out. Instead of thinning with water I would try the Target retarder, I think it is SA something.
Also give Target a call, they can help

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I suspect the higher gloss area received more paint which made those areas dry slower giving the paint more time to flow out. Instead of thinning with water I would try the Target retarder, I think it is SA something.
Also give Target a call, they can help
Thanks Phil.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Jeff at Target answered with the following (emphasis mine):

Henry,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The effect you are describing is usually caused by the operator bringing the spray gun in too close to the part. This causes atomization air to create a tiger stripe effect of highs/lows in the gloss level. Try to keep the spray gun 6 inches away from the part being finished. Also, check the atomization air pressure and make certain that you are not over-atomizing the coating.

Best Regards,

Jeff Weiss
Target Coatings, Inc.

Office: 1-800-752-9922
Mobile: 1-973-650-1030
jweiss@targetcoatings.com

So it appears the operator error is a powerful effect...!
I did not think I had committed this particular error, but of course may well have.. I'll try one more coat before being done with this.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
(emphasis mine):
Henry,
The effect you are describing is usually caused by the operator bringing the spray gun in too close to the part. This causes atomization air to create a tiger stripe effect of highs/lows in the gloss level. Try to keep the spray gun 6 inches away from the part being finished. Also, check the atomization air pressure and make certain that you are not over-atomizing the coating.
Jeff Weiss
Target Coatings, Inc.

Recoating these pieces this morning confirmed Jeff's operator error hypothesis (EDIT - and I shared that hypothesis, as I hinted in the OP) - keeping the gun >6" from the piece (9-12" was actual) produced a much more consistent gloss level (still a few exceptions where my technique failed, but correctable).

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Did I mention recently how much I LOVE our little sharing corner of the web?!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS