Gloat or goat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Found this Stanley #40 this morning at my local flea market store for the grand sum of $45. Is that too much for a good scrub plane?

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

I don't think I'll spend much time tuning this one, it's pretty much ready to go.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't think that a #40 is a collectible, but it is a dang good user plane. It is the factory example of a reground #4 or 5. Based on the excellent condition it looks to be in and the blade length I think you got a good deal for $45.
MTCW,
Dave:)

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
A #40 in that condition at that price, I think is very gloatworthy! It isn't as easy for me I know to find a #40 as it is to find a real nice smoother. Actually, here in the south I rarely find anything at a true gloatable price in planes. Everyone seems to think that their grandpa's old plane is worth hundreds. I have resorted to chance on the bay and have finally finished my collection of #3,4,4 1/2, 5, 5 1/4, 5 1/2, 6, &7 Stanley's in the condition that I wanted. A #40, 71 & 71 1/2 as well as a the right 8 is on my search list now. I think you did well!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't buy them to put on a shelf to look pretty, but this one was so close to original I had to have it. I usually find them covered in rust with a broken tote or covered in latex paint. This is the most I have ever paid for one plane.

I would have to look but I think I have a # 3, 4, 5 (3 or 4 of them), 7C (Craftsman), 8 (not Stanley), 40, 78 (not Stanley), 220 (twice), A couple other misc can't remember the numbers.

I'm trying to put together a good WORKING set of planes. What else do I really need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors