Gloat - anniversary gifts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
LOML got me these:
carvegift.JPG

A special thanks to ScottM for alerting me to the book and DVD being liquidated at Ollie's - I passed that hint along with the WoodCraft sale flyer with the FlexCut set circled. And if you are headscratching about why "Carving Basics" when I claim to know a bit about carving, it is because there are so many different ways to do everything; I almost always pick up a few things from seeing a differrent approach. A lot of stuff I learned from a moron (self taught :) ).

She got a computer program that will allow her Cricut (a scrapbooking CNC machine for all practical purposes) to use any TrueType font and some of her favorite fancy bath products.

:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Congrats on the score and love the wife's gift. I make have to make sure my wife never finds this thread.:rotflm:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can't take all the credit. Brad tipped me off to the deal.

Congrats and Happy Aniversary.

CarvedTones

Andy
I can't take all the credit. Brad tipped me off to the deal.

Congrats and Happy Aniversary.

I remembered someone else telling me about it; I think Brad did mention it. But it was seeing it and flipping through it that convinced me I wanted it in my collection. So thanks to both of you and my lovely bride, it is in my collection...

Zach,

The software was "only" $70. Of course the original Cricut package she got over a year ago was $200 or so, the Gypsy, which is a handheld designer for it, was also over $200, cartridges (she has more than a dozen) list for $70 or so but are often at "only" half price. She made me a really nice card, though. :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
A lot of stuff I learned from a moron (self taught :smile: ).

I got really nervous reading that, I was thinking, "man, I hope I didn't teach Andy anything about carving.... :eusa_pray :rotflm:

Congrats on the books and new tools! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc But most importantly, congrats on the anniversary! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

CarvedTones

Andy
I got really nervous reading that, I was thinking, "man, I hope I didn't teach Andy anything about carving.... :eusa_pray :rotflm:

Congrats on the books and new tools! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc But most importantly, congrats on the anniversary! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Nah, but if you have ever taken a handheld blade to wood, there probably is something you do differently that may work better. It's funny how we just guess at how to do something and if it works at all, it becomes the "right" way. One thing I am eager to try is the "backhand" techniique from the book; the FlexCut set is perfect for that. I have a few mallet tools and several palm tools but really didn't have much in between.

I should try to organize a carving get together and see if it flies this time. The guys around Charlotte have had success with them, but I haven't gotten much interest around Raleigh. It's odd; I know there are other carvers about. Last week I replied to Paul's post about the carving show to see if anyone else was going and got no replies. I went and looked and unless it picked up at some other times, turnout was really low. A number of winning entries appeared to be the only entries in their category. I had considered entering, but then I messed up the lower jaw of my alligator whistle that I would have entered. I had trouble carving the labium (Google is your friend :) and keep in mind it is a wind instrument, not that other definition :rolf:). Turns out I probably could have gotten a ribbon anyway...

Thanks all!

richlife

New User
Rich
Nah, but if you have ever taken a handheld blade to wood, there probably is something you do differently that may work better. It's funny how we just guess at how to do something and if it works at all, it becomes the "right" way. One thing I am eager to try is the "backhand" techniique from the book; the FlexCut set is perfect for that. I have a few mallet tools and several palm tools but really didn't have much in between.

I should try to organize a carving get together and see if it flies this time. The guys around Charlotte have had success with them, but I haven't gotten much interest around Raleigh. It's odd; I know there are other carvers about. Last week I replied to Paul's post about the carving show to see if anyone else was going and got no replies. I went and looked and unless it picked up at some other times, turnout was really low. A number of winning entries appeared to be the only entries in their category. I had considered entering, but then I messed up the lower jaw of my alligator whistle that I would have entered. I had trouble carving the labium (Google is your friend :) and keep in mind it is a wind instrument, not that other definition :rolf:). Turns out I probably could have gotten a ribbon anyway...

Thanks all!

Again, I'm coming in late on a discussion, but I'm catching up -- slowly. (I should never have joined BBQ Source at the same time -- but there WAS the need for a new grill!)

Absolutely AWESOME gift from your LOML (oops, no -- LOYL). I'm insanely jealous of the Flexcut gouges! I need to find more about that set as I currently have a #8 in my wishlist.

I know what you mean about the "right way". Being a self-taught carver, anything I can glean from books, videos, TV, etc. is potentially helpful. I tend to be surprised that my techniques are often similar to others, but it's those little things that can turn a problem into an ordinary task.

As we touched on in a PM, I'd definitely be interested in a carving do. Not sure what it all means, but if it carving and tools, then it's right! Anyone else interested? Rich

CarvedTones

Andy
Rich,

This is older than I thought, but I think they have done more get togethers since:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...t-together-16903/?highlight=charlotte+carving

Don't be insane about it; that set is on sale for 50% through this weekend:

http://www.woodcraft.com/tab/003.aspx

Or maybe I just made it worse... :rotflm:

I haven't done much with the tools yet. I have a little barley twist / snake / marble trail:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f33/started-carving-wet-30085/
that is still drying (I took Fred's and David's advice; it is in a bag of wood chips with a rough turned vase) and I took it out and did a little more shaping and clean up. New FlexCuts cut so nice. :) They definitely are not as springy as the little FlexCuts, but you can feel the flex. This was not the best project to really get a feel for them, but I also have a bowl rough turned that I am planning to carve as a flower that they should be better suited for.

blkdog09

New User
Chris
Nice score!

I thought I was gonna open up the thread and read she bought you 5 acres of mixed juniper/basswood/Tupelo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS