Glass table top supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Do any of you know were I can get some little rubber or similar pads to go between the table frame and the glass top? We have a table in the office here that has some pads that have a small "spigot" on the bottom that fits into a small hole in the table frame and then has what looks like one of those "stick on the bathroom tile" sort of arrangements that the glass sits on, stopping the glass sliding while still making it removable.

IMAGE_00031.jpg

Like this

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
if you arent too picky about the color you can get them at commercial door hardware suppliers in your area. martin archatectural in cary or comercial openings on capitol blvd will have them. they used to be gray. we call them silencers and they push into steel door jambs to quiet them down when the door shuts. I used them once for a glass top coffee table and they worked well. they may come in other colors but i have never seen anything but grey.

fred p

DavidF

New User
David
if you arent too picky about the color you can get them at commercial door hardware suppliers in your area. martin archatectural in cary or comercial openings on capitol blvd will have them. they used to be gray. we call them silencers and they push into steel door jambs to quiet them down when the door shuts. I used them once for a glass top coffee table and they worked well. they may come in other colors but i have never seen anything but grey.

fred p

Thanks Fred, I'll look into that.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Here's an idea - suction cups. Then drill a little recess in the top of the post that receives the knob on the back of the suction cup. I had metal framed/glass top coffee table that worked like that once.

DavidF

New User
David
Here's an idea - suction cups. Then drill a little recess in the top of the post that receives the knob on the back of the suction cup. I had metal framed/glass top coffee table that worked like that once.

That might work, depends on what they look like. Another thought would be those 1/4 thick black rubber pads that I have seen in Ace. I could pocket those into the frame such that just a 1/16 is above the surface to sit the glass on. They should stop it sliding.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
That might work, depends on what they look like. Another thought would be those 1/4 thick black rubber pads that I have seen in Ace. I could pocket those into the frame such that just a 1/16 is above the surface to sit the glass on. They should stop it sliding.

The ones that I had were clear, looked something like this and were about 1" in diameter.
I liked this option because it holds well - definately won't slide on the glass - and the fact that it's clear makes it much less noticable. Let us know what you decide, I'm interested on what you come up with as a solution to this!
124.jpg

DavidF

New User
David
The ones that I had were clear, looked something like this and were about 1" in diameter.
I liked this option because it holds well - definately won't slide on the glass - and the fact that it's clear makes it much less noticable. Let us know what you decide, I'm interested on what you come up with as a solution to this!
124.jpg

They could work, where have you seen those for sale?

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I know that lowes and HD have them in their hardware sections. Look for picture hanging supplies. Don't be surprised to see a metal hook attached to the back, but it comes right off.
suct.jpg

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
There is a glass store in Carrboro called Rice's Glass Co. right off of Main Street. Their number is (919) 967-9214. I ordered some tempered glass from them this week. It may be worth a call to them. Good Luck!

DavidF

New User
David
There is a glass store in Carrboro called Rice's Glass Co. right off of Main Street. Their number is (919) 967-9214. I ordered some tempered glass from them this week. It may be worth a call to them. Good Luck!

Would these people do an 8' x 4' piece of 1/2" tempered glass for the table top? My client is still looking for a top, but most glass has green tinge to it and they have been quoted some very high numberss for clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors