Glad I found ya'll

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Hey Everyone!

Why did it take me so long to find this group? I doesn't make since. I live in NC and I work wood (traditional for 2 years now) and I am somewhat computer savvy. Then tell me why haven't I found ya'll before now?

Well, all I can say is I'm here now now and I'm excited to be in contact with such nice and welcoming people in my own back yard so to speak. Here is dsome background on me:

o I am a NC native and my family in NC goes all they way back before the revolution

o I love history and traditional woodworking. I had my traditional woodworking epiphany at Roy's Dovetail case two years ago this month.

o I have a very supportive wife who let me put a woodworking shop in our house where our office used to be ( I am a very lucky man)

o I have been making stuff for this shop for the last year and the madness continues with my Spring Pole Lathe and in June Will Myers' Moravian Workbench Class at the Woodwright's School (I can't wait)

o I have a website and blog that rambles on longer than this post ( http://oldetoolworkshop.com ) don't worry, i'm not selling anything :)

Wow if your still reading this thanks and I hope to make some good friends here.

Oh yeah, I have two shop cats that love to track sawdust and shavings all over the house, I wouldn't have it any other way

Thanks,
Aaron

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
We are glad you found us too. Now that you did please do not be shy, feel free to join in any conversation.

We love pictures and here are 2 links that will help explain how to upload pics to your gallery and post them.

To upload pictures

To post pictures

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome, Aaron. As you learn more about what this site is about, you'll also learn we have our own jargon for different WWing endeavors. Lathe activities we like to call 'the dark side'. Your specialty of hand tools only we call 'neander tools'. Looking forward to seeing some of your work and hearing from you. It's not too late either to sign up for our annual picnic. It's in 3 weeks.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
welcome aaron.....hope you enjoy the group as we will enjoy seeing your project pics:eusa_danc

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Welcome, I know you will like it here. Come to the Spring Picnic on the 18th! Check out our chats! Have fun!

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Because you asked so nicely :)

Below is my Spring Pole Lathe in progress. Thank Ken for the reminder to actually put descriptions with my posts :rotflm:. It's tough getting old.

spring_pole_lathe_1.jpg

-Aaron

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Aaron. Glad you found us. Better late than never. :wsmile: Looks like you and I share two passions: history and woodworking.

Like you, my family roots in NC go back before the revolution, and even further back in VA. And I've been making sawdust for more than 40 years now. I'm sure we'll find something to talk about if you can make it to the picnic on May 18. Did anyone mention it's free? :eusa_danc

Bill

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome. Ask questions and venture opinions when you have them. And did somebody mention we love pictures. Thanks for posting the one of (I assume) the spring pole lathe in progress. We love Work In Progress pics as well as the finished product. The pics tell the story.

This is a very friendly group and you will find all types here from the strictly power tool users to the hand tool users to those like me who appreciate the finer points of both.

Roy's classes are super aren't they. And my wallet suffers every time I venture upstairs to Ed's tool shop.

- Ken.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Welcome, Aaron. As Berta mentioned we have chats that are geared specifically for the new comer. The next chat will be this Thursday at 8:00 pm. This is a good opportunity for you to ask specific questions, find out some of the benefits of your free membership (there are many), and connect with other members that share your specific passion of woodworking. I hope you will be able to join us.

Steve H.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Thank you all for your show of support for a new member. Woodworking is my passion and having a community that shares that passion is very uplifting.

Bruce - thanks for the complement on my workshop - it is a work in progress ... always :)

Brian - Thanks for the pointers for uploading the pics

Dennis - I have not completely turned (pun intended) to "The Dark Side" yet, but wait until I finish my lathe and then my transition will be compete. I will discuss the picnic with my wife and see if she would like to attend with the kids or just send me.

Berta - I plan to attend the chat on Thur. and hopefully the picnic

Bill - I think my love of history fuels my love of "neander tools" and i definitely look at Colonial Williamsburg and Old Salem a lot differently now.

Dave - Yes, we're 14 years and going strong, it was her idea to bring the shop in the house, I think it is so she could keep a closer eye on me - lol

Ken - I will be a frequent contributor to this site, I think it will help my own blog's updates as well because I will have more encouragement from ya'll. I love taking classes at Roy's School. He and all of his instructors are awesome! Ed's store has lightened my wallet on more that one occasion. He is very friendly and more that willing to help you when you have questions. He's a great guy.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Aaron welcome to the family. Hope to see you and the wife at the picnic.

joec

joe
User
Wow on the wife. I took over my garage for my shop, and ended up having to build my wife an attached carport to get her out of the weather to appease her.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
This is total noob question but how do I post a new thread? I would like to create a thread on my anvil I just referbished and I cannot find on your site where to post a new article or thread.

Thanks,
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS