GatorGrit and 3M sandpaper vs Klingspoor

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Over on the cheap tool regrets thread, several people mentioned cheap sandpaper and some specifically mentioned how much better Klingspoor sandpaper is. I've certainly learned not to buy HF sandpaper (again) and have found the Gator Grit or 3M brands at Ace/HD/Lowes to be a big step up, even from the acceptable house brands. Has anyone used either of these brands and Klingspoor? Is Klingspoor just a little better, or is it in a whole other league?

TIA,
Chris

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have used Gator brand and Klingspor brand. IMHO, there is no question in my mind that Klingspor is several steps above. Works better, last longer and since you can buy in bulk and get an NCWW discount it is cheaper.

DavidF

New User
David
The only Klingspor product I have bought is the scalloped edge sanding disks and I must say they are outstanding and seem to last for ever.

Having said that, I haven't had much of a problem with the Lowes paper either, even the cheaper "bulk" packs certainly not in the 100g anyway. Maybe the finer grits would wear much quicker. The bright green coloured 80g seems a good product as well, can't remember the brand, but it was bought in Lowes.

Dragon

New User
David
So far I haven't used any of the Klingspore paper but I've gone through a truck load of the Lowe's and Wal Mart stuff. Then again, a lot of my sanding was being done with 40 to 80 grit hogging off a lot of material. Once I get to the point of the really "fine" parts of finishing I'm going to make a trip to Hickory and stock up on the Klingspore stuff and see how well it does for me.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Speaking only about ROS paper I have some 3M paper that lasts at LEAST twice as long as Klingspor paper. The 3M paper was expensive purchased retail but I got it when I worked for 3M at employee pricing. I have found the Norton 3X ROS paper to last longer than my Klingspor paper.

I'm not saying Klingspor is low quality. I use Klingspor more than most since it's a local place that I can support and the quality is many steps above BORG or HD stuff. No comparison there. In fact, a few years ago I found ROS paper at the retail location that was actually quite good. My comments refer to 120 and 220 grit paper only on ROS.

I have used some Klingspors 220 grit open cut paper sheets for wiping down lacquer that I got from a fellow NCWWer and found it to be GREAT for that task though I can't seem to find it in the store or online. :dontknow:

Chuck

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Remember that Klingspor (like others) has several grades of papers -- I've found their Economy paper for a`ROS doesn't hold up anywhere as long as their mid-grade Stearate paper and their premium paper is really superb and performs very well.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
As Far as belts go (3X21), I can't wear out most Klingspor. I use the Gator Belts and they normally stretch and break very quickly. Klingspor's Bargain Boxes are cheap and I doubt I will need to buy anymore belts anytime soon. Oh and the best thing ever for sandpaper is those sticks to clean your paper out. If you sanding and don't have one of those, your crazy! Whenever I use it, it's like using a new belt as soon as I clean the belt with the stick.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Remember that Klingspor (like others) has several grades of papers -- I've found their Economy paper for a`ROS doesn't hold up anywhere as long as their mid-grade Stearate paper and their premium paper is really superb and performs very well.
Just in case people with FesTool ROS's don't know, festool now has their own H&L discs for festool :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Oh and the best thing ever for sandpaper is those sticks to clean your paper out. If you sanding and don't have one of those, your crazy! Whenever I use it, it's like using a new belt as soon as I clean the belt with the stick.

RIGHT ON!!!! Heat is the biggest enemy to sand paper. When your sand paper clogs it increases the friction which increases the heat. Cleaning the paper greatly prolongs the life. Those clean sticks are worth 100x what they cost.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Thanks to all for the feedback! Looks like I need to:

1. buy a sandpaper cleaner stick
  2. stop in Klingspoor next time I'm nearby and stock up
Chris

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I'm here in FL so I order all mine from Online Store. I like it better because you can get exactly what you want and don't have to worry about it being in stock. Just a recommendation to check out online before you go.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Sandpaper? Klingspor Who? Guys, I will tell you that the Gator Grip product is sold 100% for the DIY guys that don't know the difference between good and bad! They do a fantastic job with their packaging and retail look but the paper is very low quality.

By the way, Steve thanks for mention as I can't do that or I will get my hands slapped from certain before-mentioned vendor!

Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS