Garage Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Well, I just returned from Germany and plan to build the partition in my garage next weekend (10/21). Woodworker2000 and Travis Porter have thankfully offered to help. :eusa_clap Hopefully this will be fairly easy. I have purchased most of the materials and will take photos to post here as we progress.

Ray Martin stopped by about a month ago to help me plan the project and convince me I could do it. Thanks Ray. Feel free to stop by ;-)

I am putting in an opening above the door in the partition for an A/C unit (10K BTU). Anyone have any idea if there is a standard height for such an opening?

Doug in North Raleigh

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't think that there is a standad size opening for a 10K BTU AC, you would be best to have the unit chosen before framing the opening so you can make it fit right. Although a quick Google search has led me to think that the opening will need to be about 25" tall x 15-16" wide. It seems that all the listings for 10K BTU units fall within that range, but with enough varitability that I would want the measurements of the particular unit chosen.
Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Doug,

I agree with Dave. It would be best to get the A/C unit before you frame the opening for it, so you have exact measurements. You want the framing members close enough so that you can use fasteners to attach the unit's flanges to the framing.

The opening can sit on top of the header above the door. I'd center it on the header for asthetics. Don't forget to run sufficient power up there. You don't want extension cords connecting your A/C unit, and the power cords for these units are usually only about 5 or 6 feet.

Get that camera ready... we're gonna want photos...

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ditto for dimensions on the AC as all have commented. You do have the rough opening dimensions for the door or have the door? We will need that as well.

Where did you go in the Fatherland? I was there myself in late April early May.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Ray gave me the dimensions, so hopefully I am set there. I bought the door already.

I was in Munich, 8th time this year. I go again in November. (Hopefully the last time in 06.

Doug

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Ich haette gern wieder nach Deutschland....

Good luck with the garage partition! Having moved around the several window unit AC's I have in my store yesterday, (that is the kind of unit you are going with, right?) I think Dave has the dimensions just a little wrong, I thing the measurements were probably right, but 25"W X 15-16"H.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think Dave has the dimensions just a little wrong, I thing the measurements were probably right, but 25"W X 15-16"H.

:eusa_doh: :5dunce: Thanks for catching that, proof reading my replies would help :eusa_doh: :5dunce:
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS