From Colorado to Asheville

Sourwood

New User
Graham
Grew up in Atlanta, then college in NC. After almost a decade in Colorado, I’m moving to Asheville in a few weeks.

I’m a hobby furniture maker, and hope to get my shop up and running by the end of the year.

Graham

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Welcome to the beautiful mountains of western NC (I know they are tiny compared to what you are used to in Colorado, but they are breathtaking to lots of us). I live about 15 miles south of Asheville in Hendersonville and when this social distancing due to the coronavirus pandemic is over, you'll need to join us at one of the monthly meetings of the Western NC Woodworkers Association (2nd Saturday of the month) at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop in Fletcher. Glad you found NCWW -- lots of expertise here from all aspects of woodworking.

Sourwood

New User
Graham
Thanks for the welcome. The Rockies are beautiful, but not as accessible as the Appalachians. And because those are the ones I grew up spending summers exploring, they’ll always feel familiar to me. Look forward to checking out the WNCWA meetings!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Welcome to NC and NCWW. I'm curious. What were you doing in Colorado for 10 years and why did you choose to move to Asheville?

I presume that you're not new to woodworking if your going to set up your shop. ????

We now have 2 sour woods: Sourwood (you) and Sourwould (Taylor)!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Graham. You are moving to a beautiful area of our State.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Graham! I was borne in Atlanta. I've lived all over. My dad was in the corrugated box business and kept changing jobs. I've managed to live in Florida, St. Louis, Flint, Gastonia,NC, Richmond, Nashville, Johnson City, TN and finally here in Charlotte, NC. I've been here for more than 40 years. I A'NT MOVING NO MORE! North Carolina is a great state. Asheville is a great city and NCWW is a great site. Welcome aboard!

Pop

Sourwood

New User
Graham
@Jeff - I was in the Army for a number of years, and then medical school. I moved to Asheville to train and work as a physician. Chose the location for many, many reasons (and there are quite a few other locations in NC we were considering as well).
Not new to woodworking (though I proudly admit I’m constantly learning) - I upgraded much of my shop as part of the move. Will do some less glamorous improvements to the physical space (electric, soundproofing) and then get some machines in sometime in the fall/winter of this year.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS