Friday at Klingspore's extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Friday at Klingspore's Extravaganza in Hickory was quite a day!
I might be a little off (what an understatement) in details here but...

When I pulled up and started to unload TracyP was already there. I got my things out of the buggy and went to park and found Rob (McRabbet)unloading his first load. When I got back to the doors Scott M pulled in and we soon started to work.
Rob had a large 8 ft by 2 ft NCWoodworkers banner and a neat frame for it. This banner is an eyecatcher and can be used again and again. Looks great Rob!
The booth was set up in short order. Rob brought a camera and projection device so everyone could see the demonstrations well.
Speaking of which-
-If you've never seen someone like Scott work on a scrollsaw - you are missing a treat! You've heard the old saying "cuts like butter". Now I know where it came from. Awesome work Scott!
-Tracy soon started whipping out some weed pots on the lathe. Poetry in motion! We were close to several lathe demonstrations and Tracy kept his own audience captivated! He was hesitant to talk much while working, I think he was concentrating on the noble cause and recipients of the weed pots perhaps.... even though Ted kept urging him on.
-Rob had a captive audience while he demonstrated the Kreg system. I have GOT to get me one of those!! Great job Rob. He kept dialogue coming while he worked, explained, and entertained the crowd. I'd love to be able to work that well, much less while doing 4 things at once!

Several other members made it to the booth and were helping out answering questions from the visitors, selling raffle tickets, explaining the calendar, promoting the site etc. It was a great day all around. I wish I could find the paper I made some notes on - (names etc) still I know I didn't get to talk with all our people that made it. I am hesitant to call names cause I know I'll leave some out. Chime in if you were there?
There was a lot of interest in the prize table for the raffle. Seemed everytime we'd look up another prize was being lugged out and dropped off! Awesome!
Rob has some pictures I know and there were plenty of other flashes from time to time. I know no pics, but this is a preliminary report...
As things were closing down a man came over and wanted to buy one of the pots Tracy had made. Tracy kindly told him that they were not for sale but were to be donated to a group of residents in a nursing home.
I WISH I weren't working today because I'd love to be able to be there again.
Can't wait to hear about Saturday.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Boy I wish I could've made it, but I needed a day of rest after all this traveling. Sounds like a great time! Can't wait to see the pictures! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
What CaptnA has failed to reveal is that while I was tearing up a Sub Sandwich he dazzled the crowd with his own turning of a spectacular weed pot. His audience was asking questions like "what part of the tree did that wood come from?". Well Andy answered all of the questions with complete accuracy. It was a great day. I am a talker here but I do not do well in a public speaking environment:nah:. Really I am a shy person:wconfused:. Today was superb with Gregory Paolini doing four magnificent demos to a standing room only crowd at each one. Gregory, thank you for volunteering your day for the good of NCWW:thumbs_up:thumbs_up. I learned so much from you today!!

M

McRabbet

Indeed, we did have a great event -- lots of visitors today with Greg Paolini doing four excellent hands-on demonstrations -- he started at 9:30 this morning with an very informative session on Sharpening chisels and plane irons, carefully explaining each step in the process. After a 1/2 hour break, he started his second session at 11:00 AM on the basics of scrapers, ranging from the well-know (but little appreciated) flat steel scraper to the classic cabinet scraper (the Stanley #80 and it's equivalents), to the Scraper Plane. Greg demonstrated the key steps of flattening the steel and squaring the edges to using a burnishing tool to create the cutting burr on the scraper edge. After lunch, Greg spoke to his third Standing Room Only crowd on the Arts & Crafts philosophy, covering the topic in excellent detail from the influences of various key designers from the past (like the Stickleys, Greene and Greene, and even Frank Lloyd Wright) to the more recent influences in the A & C movement. Fortunately, Greg was able to use my laptop and video projector to display numerous examples of these styles from gallery pictures on his website at Gregory Paolini Design, LLC. In his final talk, Greg gave an excellent tutorial on the basic uses of bench and block planes, explaining the key characteristics of the Bailey bench planes made so popular by Stanley and how to use various sizes to perform different planing operations. All four sessions were very well attended and appreciated.

While all of this was underway, we made some ticket sales for the Fall Drawing and sold more of the 2011 NCWW Calendars. A great time had by all -- I did take some pictures, but they'll need to wait until tomorrow since I got home about 8:30 PM dead tired! What I didn't mention were all of the good deals on tools and abrasives and books and accessories and lots more at the show! If you weren't there, you missed a good one!!

TedAS

New User
Ted
I sure had a great day on Friday! I wish I could have made it today.

I got to see some old friends, and make some new ones.

I can't wait for next year!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Wow!!! That was a fantastic show! I was there from beginning to end both days and had the pleasure of actually meeting some of you. I hadn't realized that I would be occupied demonstrating scroll sawing:saw: until I arrived. Klingspors had a Dewalt DW 788 straight out of the box for us to use at the Western Piedmont Woodcrafters booth. I had a ball cutting and answering questions and letting folks both young and old, cut something on the saw. I also learned a lot about teaching, :dontknow:something I need to get better at. I happily sold 2 of my clocks and 2 of the Story Crosses, :eek:ccasion1as well as some of the cuttings we made at the show. The money from the cuttings done at the show went to the coffee and donut fund for our monthly club meetings. My big disappointment was not having the time to attend Greg's seminars--it was what I had intended to do when I went, but the biggest disappointment was not being able to actually meet Greg himself. :gar-CrMaybe next time.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Greg was a great teacher. I was only able to attend the plane discussion on Saturday afternoon, but it was well worth the 4 hours of total drive time with wife and kiddo. It was great to see some of the guys who I haven't seen in a while.

I'll post the few pics I took soon.

Bryan S

Bryan
I would have loved to been there, especially to hear some good info on hand plane usage. Hopefully next years will fall on my weekend off.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Thanks to everyone who attended, and a special thanks to Scott, Tracy, Rob, and all those who helped out, and made it a great event!

It was such a treat to be able to meet so many of you, and catch up with those folks I havn't seen in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS