Freud glue line rip blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I can remember when I bought my Uni in the mid 90's reading about how important it was to set the height of the blade just right. I soon forgot everything I had read. I now go by the rule "the less the blade shows above the wood the less there is to cut me".

I just orderd the Freud glue line rip blade and for some reason thought of the long forgotten rules about setting blade heigth. Since I am looking for a really good edge for gluing I wonder if this is one time I need to pay a little more attention to the height of the blade. I know Freud recommends not going above one inch in the thickness of the wood.

The boards I am going to use the blade on are very long and wide and I thought I would give this blade a shot. Ordered it from WWS this morning so I will have it by tomorrow morning. I will provide a review after I have used it.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Here is something that should answer your question.

If you are using the correct Freud blade for the application, the blade should be set so that 1/2 of a tooth is protruding through the material. So, if you are cutting 3" thick material with a 10" blade, the blade would be at full height. The idea is to have 3-5 teeth in the cut when ripping and 5-7 for crosscut and manmade materials. If you cannot acheive this and keep the blade at 1/2 tooth height, you have the wrong blade for the application.

------------------
Charles M
Freud, Inc.

END QUOTE

Howie........................

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I believe there is a stock thickness limitation depending on the actual blade you use. You should be able to verify that using Google or at Freud's site. The LM74R series is for 1/4 to 1 inch stock.

I set my blade 1/2 tooth above the stock surface. On < 1 inch stock the edges are very good. I have ripped thicker (3 inch hard maple for workbench top) with a decent edge, although it is not recommended for this service.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors