French steam powered submarine Narval, 1889 in 1:100

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdulaney

New User
John
My current project is a model of the French submarine Narval. First I drew it up three dimensionally in AutoCAD:
Narval%252520Hull%2525201.jpg

Narval%252520Hull%2525202.jpg

Then I printed out templates for the stations and profile, glued them to 1/8" aircraft ply, and cut them out with a coping saw. I glued them up together and started planking:
DSCF1462.JPG

And, this is where I'm at now:
john%2525202%252520008.JPG

So, what do y'all think?

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Nice. How does the rib construction (pic 3) compare to the original, full-size design ?

And will it get a miniature steam engine ?

-Mark

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Looks great,like the framing,same way we built a jig boat except only about 3-4 bulkheads stayed with the hull.
Tony

jdulaney

New User
John
Nice. How does the rib construction (pic 3) compare to the original, full-size design ?

And will it get a miniature steam engine ?

-Mark

The bulkheads in my model do not coincide with the framing of the original. I build my models this way (the non-open ones, anyway) for strength and stability. I intend for this model to have the potential to be around in four hundred years.

Sadly, no steam engine. I am not doing any internal modeling; just the exterior.

jdulaney

New User
John
Who says I had no plans? I just like to redraft the hull in AutoCAD so that I can print out accurate templates and correct for a century of degradation. A model like this gets six months or so of research before I make the first cut.

That said, if I do a North Carolina workboat, there usually aren't plans available, so in those cases the no plans holds true. Sometimes I'll do a model almost entirely by eye (usually spritsail skiffs, since that was the way they were traditionally built).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS