Free Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Any turners or non-spinny folks interested in any of this?

I spotted this when coming home the other day and stopped to take a few pics of the wood beside the road when I noticed the Oak tree on top of the house next door. I talked briefly to the gentleman who lives in the house where the trees are rooted and he indicated that if anyone was interested in any part of the Oak tree he would be glad to try to cut it into specified sizes when he cuts it up next week sometime. If there is any interest I can swing back by and pick up something or give the address of the wood in N Raleigh to any interested party's.

I don't think the Oak is large enough for milling, it only looked to be about 24" or so above the butt, but I didn't get a close look since I had all the kids with me on the way to soccer so I could be wrong about that.

This is just some rather large Poplar that isn't in the best shape but has some cool coloring and a few of the larger pieces are forked and kind of gnarly.

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

This is the Oak tree that as the homeowner stated, "The hand of God laid over just as pretty as you please at 3:30 in the morning". This fell over Monday night when there was no wind or storm in the area. He told me that they had been attempting to locate the old original septic tank for years, guess where it turned out to be? Yup, right under the Oak tree. Luckily no one was hurt when it feel over but the damage to the house looks pretty substantial.

IMAG0148.jpg

Brian.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I would be interested in ~24" long sections. I have been reading about windsor chairs stools and riven green oak is good for the spindles!
Salem

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Dave, pm sent.

Saleem, I'll try to stop by Mon or Tue and see if I can catch up with him and ask if he can cut some that length. Is there a desired min or max diameter?

The pile beside the road shrunk quite a bit in size by the time I went back by with my camera the next day so it seems some other folks may have taken some of what he already cut. So maybe I can get him to not put all the oak beside the road after he cuts it until I've gotten some.

Brian.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Brian,
That is a scary picture of the tree on the house!

I have never actually made a windsor, just been reading about it :). Over 24" is a useful length for chairs and ~30" is a great length for taller stools. So really anything over 24" long sounds great to me. As for diameter I think over 12" diameter is best but I am not picky.

Thanks so much for looking into it!

Salem

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Well, it seems all the Poplar as well as the Oak was gone as of yesterday. I guess maybe he worked hard and got it out in time for the yearly bulk trash and yard waste pick up yesterday. :gar-Cr

Sorry guys. :BangHead:

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors