Franklin Rocker Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
At last I have the prototype for the Lyptus rocker done, but it needs some wax to finish it off for the screened porch. This is an SPF utilitarian rocker for us poor guys.

This was an adventure for me since I've never built a chair. I don't have a band saw or a router table so I had to rely on a saber saw, a couple of MDF templates for the curved pieces (seat and backrest), and a hand-held router flush trim bit to get the curves fair. :icon_cheers

Had no plans or blueprints, just a couple of "net" photos and some general dimensions from the manufacturers. Layed it out to scale on freezer paper with a carpenters square (SketchUp would've been helpful, but I haven't got there yet; can't even draw a square box and keep it dimensioned).

It did happen!

P6120120.jpg

P6120121.jpg

P6120122.jpg

P6120123.jpg

P6120124.jpg

The chair plugs are cherry, but they don't show up very well in the pics. Thought about walnut, but cherry is just the scrap that I had laying around the garage. The table is cherry for contrast. Now I'm ready for a brewskie or two or ... :eek:ccasion1

Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice, critique, and comments for encouragement to tackle this project. :eusa_danc

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Have a brewski on me Jeff. That is a real fine job, be proud of it.
There is a problem with porch rockers tho, it's dang hard to get out of one! :)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's why I didn't add Velcro to the seat and my shorts. We'll just let a thunderstorm blow us out!

Thanks for your kind comments. I am very proud of this project. I'm a novice, but hope that it encourages similar ones to just roll up their sleeves and have a "go at it". A learn and groan/laugh 'kinda thing.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Jeff, from someone who has built a few outdoor rockers, that is a NICE job!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

You can be proud of that, especially considering the tools you had available.

:wsmile::icon_thum

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff, from someone who has built a few outdoor rockers, that is a NICE job!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

You can be proud of that, especially considering the tools you had available.

:wsmile::icon_thum

My point was not to gloat on my abilities (which are challenged everyday). Simply said, 'ya don't have to have every tool available to do the perfect/ideal job; innovate and make what you have work for you. Many ways to skin a cat. Also keeps your budget and your wife happy if you can figure out how to make your available tools work. :BangHead:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
thats a fine lookin rocker jeff.:icon_thum nice job. I've been blessed with a fair shop but it hasn't always been that way. Some fine work has been done with a lot less to be sure. the more you learn without a lot of tools the better you will be when you get them tools. as you said.... there is more than one way to skin a cat so.... if you'll just hold it's head for a min.....:rotflm:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
thats a fine lookin rocker jeff.:icon_thum nice job. I've been blessed with a fair shop but it hasn't always been that way. Some fine work has been done with a lot less to be sure. the more you learn without a lot of tools the better you will be when you get them tools. as you said.... there is more than one way to skin a cat so.... if you'll just hold it's head for a min.....:rotflm:

Kinda like a "cat"fish. Real simple once you've done a few. :evil: One of life's simple pleasures.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice chair. :eusa_clap It will serve you well for many many years. Having the right tools makes many tasks quicker and easier. They don't always make the end product any better.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Nice rocker!

That looks awesome, and the fact you made do w/ what you have makes it even better!

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
that looks great, Jeff :eusa_clap:eusa_clap Sometimes it just takes a little longer without the "right" tool, but you can usually find a way to get the job done. Seemeed like the rocker went together quick, or maybe my avg project time is rather slow :no:

Just finished my lyptus bench - pictures coming.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS