Found a Critter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Rough turning an old, old piece of cherry. Found this dude. He had been dead a long time.

attachment.php

Experimented with turquoise inlay, which I haven't done before. Lots of holes that had to be filled. Also tried a paste wax/mineral spirits finish which is new to me also.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180215_104842.jpg
    20180215_104842.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 344
  • 20180217_145637.jpg
    20180217_145637.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 336
  • 20180217_145418.jpg
    20180217_145418.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 334

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I thought for a minute that you were going to inlay that critter back in with the turquoise. Looks great

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
An interesting find Preston, but the turquoise really adds to the piece; nice work!

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lemonade out of lemons. Well done. Might be a theme for Mike's monthly contest.

VTHokie

New User
John
Looks terrific and a beautiful save! In case you are interested, you found what appears to be an Ivory Marked beetle (Eburia quadrigeminata), a species which is known to burrow into hardwoods during the larval stage, both while the tree is growing and while the rough cut lumber is stacked at a lumber yard.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Looks terrific and a beautiful save! In case you are interested, you found what appears to be an Ivory Marked beetle (Eburia quadrigeminata), a species which is known to burrow into hardwoods during the larval stage, both while the tree is growing and while the rough cut lumber is stacked at a lumber yard.

Thanks, John. I knew someone would know what it was.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS