Forstner Bits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I'm looking for a recommended set of Forstner bits.Bought a set of Delta's finest from Slowes last nite and I don't even want to open them if I can find something better.I'm looking for a 12 to 16 piece set say 1/4" to 2 1/8" or so and have looked at the Amana set that looks like a reasonable quality set.Any help will be much appreciated.
Greg

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Greg, you are spending WAY more money than I had budgeted for forstner bits. I have been happy with the service I have received from my HF set.... granted, I did spend big money for HF, and got the $30.00 set.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Run 'em slow and the cheaper set will last a long time. Run 'em fast and you'll buy more bits. I'm running my second set slow. DAMHIKT:gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Greg, you are spending WAY more money than I had budgeted for forstner bits. I have been happy with the service I have received from my HF set.... granted, I did spend big money for HF, and got the $30.00 set.

+1 they don't seem to be showing it on their website but I got a bit set similar to this with 20 bits for only $10 more. It has done all that I ask of it. I do have a 35mm Freud bit that I use for euro hinges, but for the occasional use and multi-size-ability I think the HF set is a gem.

Dave:)

T

toolferone

There is 2 lines of thinking here. First you could buy an inexpencive set and use it. As the bits you use the most wear out replace them with a high quality bit. Second go ahead and get a high quality set first and never have to worry about a bit failing or dulling at the wrong time. Of course the dedicated Freud employee in me would tell you not to get the Amana set but look at our FB-100 set in the Diablo brand for about the same price (but way better :icon_thum) then the Amana.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Tom,
what can I get the freud set for and where.The amana set that I saw was mail order and was under $75.I also need some bits over 2 1/8 but was gonna buy them one at a time.I use the 3" and the 3 1/2" all the time.It's hard to tell what you are looking at on the net.Everybodies sets are the Catz Pitootie! But I have experienced something different.

Jeremy, What set are you talking about and who sells them.

Greg

T

toolferone

Greg, are you looking at the Amana Timberline 16 piece set? if so then I am pretty sure that it is a China import like most of the other ones in that price range. The Freud/Diablo set sells for about $169.00 Made by us in Italy.

Trog777

New User
Trog
Without a doubt, if I had the $ and wanted the best, I would get those Colt Maxi-cut bits.

Used the 35mm Colt when helping a friend. Wow! I asked him if he had a set of them. He spouted off a long exclamatory negative, ending with "That one was over $30.00!"

Big money but it cut QSWO like a dream.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Tom, I think Greg needs you to drive that rig over to Mooresville! He'd have all kinds of fun in that little candy store!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I got this set last year for $29.99 on sale from Rockler.com :eusa_danc

They want $119.99 at regular price:swoon:

22 piece set and they are working great~!
36191-02-200.jpg
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17283

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I bought a 1/4 - 2 1/8 set from Woodline many years ago and have had very good luck with them. Two years ago I bought their 2 3/8 - 3 1/4 set. This set doesn't get used much, but it sure is nice to have around. Both sets have held up quite well. I've only had to sharpen the most popular bits in the 1/4 - 2 1/8 set once, and they only needed a few strokes with a diamond stone. I would only buy carbide if I was doing production. The high speed steel holds up fine for a hobby/semi-pro shop like mine that usually never makes more than two of anything. Run them slow so they don't burn up and they'll last forever.

Charley

bwat

New User
Bill
I'd buy the Colt from what I've heard about them if you have a large budget. :icon_thum I find I've used about half of the bits in a large set so I'd buy a mid-priced but quality set and if you have a few sizes that get considerably more use perhaps invest in excellence on a smaller scale.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Different strokes for different folks and nobody is wrong. But, if you are the type that takes great pride in quality tools, you will never go wrong by staying with Freud cutting tools (saw blades, router bits, drill bits etc.)

If you are satisfied with the $19.99 b&d 1/4" drill, then economy cutting tools may be for you. Please do not think I am looking down my nose at anyone. I have seen some great work put out on some very inexpensive tools.

James

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Jeremy, What set are you talking about and who sells them.

You can get them at Woodcraft, among other places (Hartville I think sells a set). They aren't cheap, but do try them and you'll be sold. There is NO COMPARISON. I have a cheapo set and they work decent, but they cut slow, dull fast, and in the end I will have bought enough cheapo sets to have gotta a good set to start with. I paid about $20 for my cheapo set, and I'm on the forth set in so many years.

Here is a video on the Colt bits and a few links:

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/A+Stampede+For+Colts+MaxiCut+Bits.aspx

http://www.infinitytools.com/COLT-MaxiCut-10-Pc-Forstner-Bit-Set/productinfo/101-163/

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j1zOGmuMM1I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j1zOGmuMM1I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS