Forstner bit extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenBen

New User
Ben
Can one be utilized SAFELY as a router bit extension or is it a horrible idea to attempt?

I'm leaning towards un-safe but was wondering if anyone had actual experience with this (granted this may be a moot point if the shank doesn't pair with the collet size).

THANKS!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I've never done that [believe it or not!]:gar-Bi there is a reason I have not.:wink_smil I like my self with all parts connected and I don't push some envelopes.:rotflm: I gotta say DON'T!:no:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have not used that one but it is a better option than your original idea.:icon_thum I've had good results with MLCS products.

Glennbear

Glenn
I totally agree with Fred on this one. Unlike the MLCS extension, a forstner bit extension is not engineered to be used in a router whizzing along at a bazillion RPM's. :no: Over the years due to financial or material availability concerns I have done some "creative engineering" but I would pass on this one. :wsmile:

BenBen

New User
Ben
Thanks...the RPM issue was one in which jumped out to me as the deal breaker. On a side note, this approach was suggested by someone and seemed fishy to begin with but just wanted some additional opinions of the approach.

timf67

New User
Tim
I can't even get my forstner bit extension to hold a forstner bit tight at 300 RPM, I can't imagine what terrible things would happen at a couple thousand RPM!:swoon: :new_blowi

DaveD

New User
Dave
If you plan to run any extension long term I'd think about the additional side loading it is going to place on the bearings in the router motor. Don't be surprised if the bearings fail prematurely. Particularly if running a cutter that does a heavy cut.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Can one be utilized SAFELY as a router bit extension or is it a horrible idea to attempt?

Not a bad idea...if you're looking for ways to injure yourself or ruin a router. If you are determined to try it, I'd like to come watch and record a visual history of the event for YouTube. I'd be watching from a safe distance...with an inch lexan between us :wink_smil

M

McRabbet

As others have said, a Forstner Bit extension is not designed for the speed of a router and should never be used. Of greatest importance is the absolute requirement for a completely balanced bit holder to insure there is no wobble. I have the MLCS router extension and it uses a well made, balanced collet system to secure the bit. I would not recommend this for 1/4" router bits, only for 1/2" ones.

Be absolutely certain that whenever you put a router bit (or the extension itself) into your router that you do not drop the bit into the collet so far that the clamping is on the fillet at the base of the bit or it may loosen and send a bit flying! I always put a hard faucet washer (type used for seating faucet valves) down in the bottom of the collet so the bit extends slightly so the bit extends beyond the collet and it clamps fully on the shaft of the bit.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
OK, here's my vote - You're out of you mind if you try that

I don't think I could be any clearer.

There are numerous better suggestions...how long a router bit do you need? They make 6" long milling bits in 1/2" shank for crying out loud...how deep a cut you thinkin' of makin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors