Footlocker...Good News, Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
First, the good news...I have finished the footlocker for my son to use on his weeklong scout trip this summer. :-D

Now, the bad news...it is a little bit heavy for an 11 year old 60 lb boy to handle. :-( I hope he can double up with friends to tote the beast into his camp (the camp uses large tents on concrete pads).

Pics attached. Bottom construction M&T RO frame with 1/4 BB ply sides and floor. Lid construction dovetailed RO frame with 3/8 BB ply top (strong enough for him to stand on). Insert tray is 1/2 poplar dovetailed with 1/4 BB ply bottom. Finished with a coat of seal-a-cell and 4 coats of wipe on poly. I am pretty sure I will spray poly when I use it again. It's very tedious work to wipe on.

It will serve as a blanket chest for his bedroom until camp time. LOML has the final say on whether he takes it to camp this year.

I need to order some brass studs for the bottom to serve as a slider and keep it off the floor at camp.

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 741

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Chuck, that is really nice, really too nice :lol: :lol: I took my stuff to B.S. Summer camp in garbage bags. They were easy to pack, and made sure that my gear stayed dry:roll: :roll:
Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Chuck,

Nice job on the chest / locker. Got to thinking about the "mobility" problem and knowing that it is a little late in the game but it would have been cool to have integrated some small rollers on one end so it could have been pulled / pushed like the travel suitcases. Just a thought.

Mike

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Chuck,

Nice job on the chest / locker. Got to thinking about the "mobility" problem and knowing that it is a little late in the game but it would have been cool to have integrated some small rollers on one end so it could have been pulled / pushed like the travel suitcases. Just a thought.

Mike

Zambus clone casters?? I don't know, they may make it "DANGEROUS" :lol: :lol: (inside joke :) )

LOML mentioned "wheels" after we carried it into the house. I told her "forget it"!! Well, actually, I thought "forget it", I replied "that's a good idea...let me think about it".

So, now that you've BROUGHT IT UP, do you have any ideas?

Chuck

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Got some thoughts on it but would need to mock up something to see if it would work. Give me a call tomorrow and we can discuss.

MIke

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Footlocker...Mobility Added

I added a sub-base - thanks to BarryO on WN (his design). The sub-base incorporates 5/8 bronze bushings. I found some pneumatic tires at Tractor Supply for around 5 bucks each, 5/8 all thread axle.

I will cut the "axle" to length when I get back home Friday and add a quick release pin so he can rempve the wheels and store the axle under his cot.

I have thought a little about how this piece may get damaged at camp but would like to know it was used for its intended purpose one time. :lol:

We will place this at the foot of his bed and use it to hold Boy Scout memorabilia, hopefully leading to Eagle Scout. :icon_thum

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 368

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I saw your posting on WN and that suggestion and thought that was the best way I had ever seen. Are you going to incorporate the handle like he did, that was really slick??

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I saw your posting on WN and that suggestion and thought that was the best way I had ever seen. Are you going to incorporate the handle like he did, that was really slick??

I thought about the handle but I don't think this box weighs enough to need the added leverage...I hope I'm right!! :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors