Folding TS outfeed table - DONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
After finding that the outfeed table I bought for my SawStop PCS would not work with the mobile base, I opted to build my own. Due to the placement of the saw in my small shop, I need to move it pretty frequently. In addition, I often need to move around the back side of the saw - so being able to quickly fold it down is important to me. Finally, I've found that sometimes it would be handy to have at least 24" on one side of the blade or the other. Rather than build two tables, I've designed it to slide to where I need it (one really wide table wouldn't work in my shop).

I started by adding some support rails. The top rail was easily bolted to the rear rail of the saw using the existing holes, but the lower rail required drilling into the cabinet.

outfeed-supportRails.jpg

Here's a closeup of the top rail:

outfeed-topRailCloseup.jpg

Next, I built a sliding carriage to support the table on the rails:

outfeed-slidingCarriage.jpg

Next came the hinge mount, which sits on two bolt heads to allow fine-tuning of the height of the table for perfect alignment with the saw top:

outfeed-hingeSupport.jpg

Here is a closeup of the adjustment mechanism. Once the table is installed, the height can be adjusted by loosening the screw (in the fender washer) and then raise/lower the bolt to adjust the height.

outfeed-heightAdjustmentCloseup.jpg

Next, the table is mounted to the hinges:

outfeed-tableStowed.jpg

Here is the table extended...currently supported by a sawhorse:

outfeed-tableExtended.jpg

My next task is to design some supports that will hold it up when in use. Then I'll need to put miter slots into the table and perhaps add some laminate to the top.

Anyone got any good ideas for the supports? I've considered looking for some hardware, but would want to buy it locally, so I can try it out and return it easily. I'm too far down this road to design the project around the hardware...probably should have thought about that before now :( I've got a pretty simple locking arm design in mind, but am open to suggestions...

eyekode

New User
Salem
Re: Folding TS outfeed table - WIP

Looks interesting. If you want quick and accurate setup no matter where you roll your saw I think the support has to reference off the saw itself (and not your possibly uneven floor).

I am not sure I understand the design though. What does the bottom support that is bolted to the cabinet do now? Or is it for the future to hold a diagonal support for the table?

By the way I remember what you did for your planer. Very nice! I am sure you will figure something good out here too :).

Salem

manfre

New User
Manfre

A T shaped support attached to the underside with a hinge. The top of the T should have a miter rip so that it rests flat to the table and the support is angled down to rest on the bottom rail. The bottom of the support should be notched to catch the rail easily.

Putting a weak magnet under the table and on the support would keep it from swinging down as you open and stow the table. I'm not sure how sturdy you made the bottom rail, so a second support might be needed.

DavidF

New User
David

On the one I built for my dewalt, I used a centre hinged support that self locked as you lifted the table to horizontal. The support went over centre to lock the table, then you just push the support up a little to unlock and drop the top. I'll see if I have any pictures.

Here are some that give the general idea. Click on the 3 pics that show the TS

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=211

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

I am not sure I understand the design though. What does the bottom support that is bolted to the cabinet do now? Or is it for the future to hold a diagonal support for the table?

The bottom rail (bolted to the saw) provides a straight, square surface for the bottom of the carriage to ride against. The cabinet has a slight curve to it, so the carriage can't ride on that and stay square. As you suspect, the bottom of the carriage will support the lower end of an angled support to hold the table out...hopefully one that is very easy to quickly stow and deploy. My ability to describe it accurately is less than my ability to finish it (hopefully) and take some more pictures...or perhaps a video.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

On the one I built for my dewalt, I used a centre hinged support that self locked as you lifted the table to horizontal. The support went over centre to lock the table, then you just push the support up a little to unlock and drop the top. I'll see if I have any pictures.

Here are some that give the general idea. Click on the 3 pics that show the TS

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=211

That is pretty much what my vision was, but I was concerned with how well it would lock into place and how well that joint would hold up over time. How long have you been using yours and how has it held up? Do the supports remain in place if you bump the table with a board (or your body) as you work?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

A T shaped support attached to the underside with a hinge. The top of the T should have a miter rip so that it rests flat to the table and the support is angled down to rest on the bottom rail. The bottom of the support should be notched to catch the rail easily.

Putting a weak magnet under the table and on the support would keep it from swinging down as you open and stow the table. I'm not sure how sturdy you made the bottom rail, so a second support might be needed.

I don't think I'm following you. If the T shaped support that folds down to support the table is attached to the underside of the table, how can it fit under the table, but still be long enough to reach the bottom rail when the table is extended? Wouldn't it be too short? (or too long to fit under the table? Trigonometry was not my strong suit.

I was, however, thinking of something similar to what I think you're suggesting, but it would not be attached at either end. It would be removed to stow the table and replaced when extending the table. Simple, assuming I can get the support just the right length. Perhaps I should try that, first!

DavidF

New User
David

That is pretty much what my vision was, but I was concerned with how well it would lock into place and how well that joint would hold up over time. How long have you been using yours and how has it held up? Do the supports remain in place if you bump the table with a board (or your body) as you work?

Yes, they stay in place very well. You actually need to lift them about 8" to release them. The most difficult was adjusting the locking angle to ensure that the table locks perfectly horizontally. The support join locks by the two ends of the wood that the hinge is connected to, coming together. What I did was to cut one of then shorter by 1/4" and then added shims to make small adjustments. I have been using this for about 8 years and believe me it was "knocked up" in an afternoon after the need arose in my NH basement shop. In fact I just refitted it at the weekend after it travelled to the UK and it went back in place perfectly. If I was closer you could come and have a look!!!

manfre

New User
Manfre

I don't think I'm following you. If the T shaped support that folds down to support the table is attached to the underside of the table, how can it fit under the table, but still be long enough to reach the bottom rail when the table is extended? Wouldn't it be too short? (or too long to fit under the table? Trigonometry was not my strong suit.

I was, however, thinking of something similar to what I think you're suggesting, but it would not be attached at either end. It would be removed to stow the table and replaced when extending the table. Simple, assuming I can get the support just the right length. Perhaps I should try that, first!

You are correct, the hypotenuse (support) must be longer than the longest side (table). I started typing it as a standard fold down leg support that would connect to the ground, but remembered that you have a very uneven floor and switched it to a rail support without adjusting the comment.

The support leg would either need to be hinged or telescoping. A hinged one would be easier to build and would fold away quicker. Recessed magnets on the top and inside would be a nice luxury addition to keep the leg from swinging all over the place when moving the table. The bolt and latch don't need to be anything substantial. I would just include it to prevent the table from folding down if you bump the table saw too hard.

Table_Support_Leg.png

showphoto.php

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

Last night I cut support arms and mounted the hinges on them. I mounted the lower hinge onto the bottom end of the sliding carriage and clamped the upper support mounts in place to evaluate the design and mark the placement of the upper support mounts. As David reported, the support arms lock nicely into place using this design. It seems pretty sturdy - certainly enough for light duty on an outfeed table.

outfeed-supportArmEval1.jpg

Before this point, as I was determining the support arm length and mounting points, I realized that these needed to be very precise in order for the table to fold down completely. Despite a reasonable effort to get the math worked out, it seems I missed the mark - as you can see below, the table doesn't fold down completely :( The upper half of the support arms are too short (or the lower half too long). Note that making one arm longer or shorter is not a solution - since that changes the overall length and therefore the height of the outboard end of the table. A couple of options come to mind. I can make new support arms - adjusting the ratio of upper to lower length while keeping the total length the same. Anyone want to guess how many tries I'll need to get it right? I had already planned an adjustable upper support mount to allow me to fine-tune the height of the outboard end of the table - I think I can allow it to slide when the table folds. But I'm not confident that design will hold up over time. Hmmmm....

outfeed-supportArmEval2.jpg

manfre

New User
Manfre

Always clamp the supports to the table while it's folded down to ensure it will close properly while testing lengths. The adjustments should only alter the length of the top support piece and where it connects to the table.

To help guestimate the length you need, get a piece of wood that is the thickness of the top of the table to the bottom of the clamped piece. You may want to get a thicker clamp piece to help with final adjustments. Lock the table in the upright position and extend a level off the top of the TS along the edge of the outfeed. When it's level, hold the thickness block below it and put a pencil line on the support. A point along that line should represent the back corner of the support. Depending on how much of a correction you had to make, you'll want to pick a spot more toward the inside or back. Inside being shorter. Square the end at the chosen point. Hopefully that will get you really close and you can adjust the thickness of the clamp block to get it perfectly level.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Re: Folding TS outfeed table - WIP (thurdsay night update)

The table now folds down completely:

outfeed-tableStowed2.jpg

The fix turned out to be really easy. I had already planned to use a floating support mount under the table to allow adjustments to the height of the outer end of the table. But I had planned to lock it in place after adjustment. Instead, I just allow it to float. Fortunately, it needed to float in the right direction. So when I fold the table down, the mount in the picture below pulls away from the adjustment bolt head by about an inch. When I extend the table, it slides right back into place.

outfeed-upperSupportMount.jpg

Next up is putting some laminate on the top.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

All done! Laminate is on, miter slots cut, edges beveled, sharp edges rounded and a quick coat of finish. Phew! Now I can get some work done
:gar-Bi

Here it is positioned to the right of the blade:

outfeed-done-rightOfBlade.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Looks fantastic, and quick too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS