First table questions

Nicholsjr

New User
Jordan
Hello all,

I recently finished the assembly of my first large table. It is made of cypress and is 94x38x31. I assembled the top with dominos and was pretty successful at achieving flatness (a few small dips from sanding where the grain was peeling). The middle stretcher is registering slightly higher than the leg assemble on one side. This is resulting in a small gap between leg assembly and table top.

My question to body of this collective intelligence is: will a 1-2mm gap between the leg assembly and the top be an issue in the long run? If tried chasing down via planing the center stretcher but can’t seem to take enough material off to really make a difference.

Background: this will be outdoors in an enclosed patio, the table top is being secured with 8 z clip style fasteners (4 in each leg assembly ) as well as 4 bolts down the middle (through stretcher and into threaded insert). I have not yet attached the z clips.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3089.jpeg
    IMG_3089.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Cypress can be a little demanding as it adjusts to where it sits. Sun, humidity, other moisture, finishing, and how much it gets moved around all can really affect it. If it's going to be living outdoors then what you have is fine for now. You should use it out there for a few seasons and see how it settles and dries and shifts. Then make your adjustments after that when you have a better idea of where it will all settle to. Frankly outdoor tables of any size and wood should be approached with that attitude IMHO.

Beautiful table BTW. Well done.

Nicholsjr

New User
Jordan
Cypress can be a little demanding as it adjusts to where it sits. Sun, humidity, other moisture, finishing, and how much it gets moved around all can really affect it. If it's going to be living outdoors then what you have is fine for now. You should use it out there for a few seasons and see how it settles and dries and shifts. Then make your adjustments after that when you have a better idea of where it will all settle to. Frankly outdoor tables of any size and wood should be approached with that attitude IMHO.

Beautiful table BTW. Well done.
Thanks Matt & that is reassuring. I thought I was going to drive myself mad chasing down level. I’ve had wood movement at the top of my mind for this entire project and suspect it’s going to move in directions I didn’t attended to, no matter what I do. I’ve enjoyed working with cypress thus far but about to start the finishing so I reserve the right to change my mind.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
How level is the deck? ;) I've worked with cypress a fair bit and think it's pretty stable. That said, anything outdoors is a crap shoot. The breadboard ends will do a lot for that.

One of the issues I've had with cypress is the grain lifting, particularly with prominent cathedral grain.

Yeah, I'd finish it both sides and let 'er rip.

Are you going to finish it?

Nice job. 👍

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The table looks great, not knowing where the table is to be used is a small question. With that said my first inclination is to say that it should not be a problem, but not knowing it’s resting place the percentages for problems could go up. Seriously the table looks great.

Nicholsjr

New User
Jordan
How level is the deck? ;) I've worked with cypress a fair bit and think it's pretty stable. That said, anything outdoors is a crap shoot. The breadboard ends will do a lot for that.

One of the issues I've had with cypress is the grain lifting, particularly with prominent cathedral grain.

Yeah, I'd finish it both sides and let 'er rip.

Are you going to finish it?

Nice job. 👍
Thanks, yes I will be finishing. Waiting to determine the best shade of stain and topping with Pinofin Marine Oil (based on some previous NCWW posts). I would prefer just natural but the friend I’m making it for has a whole decor concept for the deck…I did try to add some flair so installed some threaded leveling feet to keep the legs off the direct decking.
IMG_2636.jpeg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
At times, chasing "perfection" can be frustrating task. I think the table looks great; and since it will be outside some wood movement of table components is to be expected. If it were me, I think I would leave well-enough alone.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I agree with others, it’s fine for the application. Table looks great. I do understand obsessing over details most people don’t see or care about. I was concerned about a similar issue on a table I made. I don’t have pictures that show it very well but I cut a recess to nest the cross members to hide potential gaps. Since I used bolts in a slot, I didn’t want to tighten the cross members to tight (so the they could move with the wood movement). In hindsight I wished I would have used z clips like you did.

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpeg
    IMG_2922.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 29

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors