Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hope to finish another set today.

IMG_4062.jpeg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
1 3/4 sets done and one more set to go. Then I think I’ll start a couple large matching bowls.

One set of salad bowls was ordered the rest will be gifts or for sale.

Vstrom

Don
Corporate Member
I'm just finishing a set of 6 salad bowls in maple for my niece as a wedding present. I've decided that making more than 1 thing alike begins to take the joy out of turning. It's much easier to turn 1 bowl and say "I meant for it to look like that" than it is to make 4 or 6 bowls the same size and shape.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I made a template to use for better consistency, but I found it to be inconvenient and cumbersome on bowls.
I use template for my plates and it works great, but the are so much flatter and easier to compare as I work.
So, I just freehanded them.
On the second set I made the tenon wider and not as long. I may end up turning off all the tenons. Haven't decided yet.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Beautiful bowls, Mike. I love the subtle curves you've freehanded into them -- gives them a lovely lightness and finesse. If you decide to turn off the foot, please repost a picture -- I think they might end up looking even better.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Beautiful work.

Do those strips of ambrosia weaken the 2nd bowl from the top much?
All of these bowls have ambrosia. Some more than others and usually more on one side. I filled all the holes with brown CA glue. It all feels the same to me as far as hardness and cutability.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm just finishing a set of 6 salad bowls in maple for my niece as a wedding present. I've decided that making more than 1 thing alike begins to take the joy out of turning. It's much easier to turn 1 bowl and say "I meant for it to look like that" than it is to make 4 or 6 bowls the same size and shape.
After thinking about this I think I have heard similar thoughts about duplicate turnings before. I don’t really have much problem or fear with turning duplicates or sets. If I can make the first one, that is the hard part, making something that I like. Then it’s just a simple process of doing the same moves again, hopefully better each time.

The first one of these bowls took me nearly two hours. Each one took less time and looked better until number seven. I was tired by then and had a small catch that forced me to make the rim thinner. At that point I quit for the night.

That last bowl took about 45 minutes inside and out. Even filled a few holes.

When I get the last five small bowls turned I will decide about the tenons and do whatever then apply the first coat of oil.

I have enough of this matching ambrosia maple 3 3/4 inches thick to make two 12 inch bowls and have a little left for something else.

iclark

Ivan
User
All of these bowls have ambrosia. Some more than others and usually more on one side. I filled all the holes with brown CA glue. It all feels the same to me as far as hardness and cutability.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't done bowls with that much ambrosia. The ambrosia spindles haven't given me a feel for any difference in cutting. Punky spalting, on the other hand, ...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS