First Scroll Saw Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
Mike, you did a great job on that! I'm glad you had fun.

Good looking cutting there.I haven't tried BB ply yet.How bad is the glue on blades.Tony

Tony - I've cuts tons of BB ply and not had any problem with the glue on the blades.

To the folks who are sure they don't have the patience for scrolling. What you don't realize is that like other woodworking, you don't start a project thinking you will have to do it all in one sitting. The difference is that with a scroll saw pattern, you see what you will do for the whole project. With a book shelf you don't see all the steps required. You work one part at a time. Scrolling you really only focus on exactly where you are cutting (after the initial planning and wood selection). You are cutting one line at a time. When you've gotten that one you just want to cut the next and after that one you want to cut the next. Your mind can't wander because you''ll go off the line and you always want to see if you can cut the next lines exactly perfect. If it's a good day, it is addicting and you have to make yourself take breaks. If it is a bad day and you are struggling you should stop and do something else for awhile.

Mike, sorry for hijacking your thread.

sawduster

New User
Robert
To the folks who are sure they don't have the patience for scrolling. What you don't realize is that like other woodworking, you don't start a project thinking you will have to do it all in one sitting. The difference is that with a scroll saw pattern, you see what you will do for the whole project. With a book shelf you don't see all the steps required. You work one part at a time. Scrolling you really only focus on exactly where you are cutting (after the initial planning and wood selection). You are cutting one line at a time. When you've gotten that one you just want to cut the next and after that one you want to cut the next. Your mind can't wander because you''ll go off the line and you always want to see if you can cut the next lines exactly perfect. If it's a good day, it is addicting and you have to make yourself take breaks. If it is a bad day and you are struggling you should stop and do something else for awhile.

Mike, sorry for hijacking your thread.[/QUOTE]

Cathy you explained that perfectly !! :icon_thum

mbeach

New User
Mike
That looks nice! You mentioned that you did it in about 3 hours. Was that in one sitting, or over several? I started using my scroll saw, but it just made me too sore.

I made in it 3 hrs straight. That is starting with sawing down the plywood. putting sheets together for stack cutting and the cutting itself.

mbeach

New User
Mike
Hey Mike - what kind of setup do you have with your saw - are you sitting or standing? Everyone should take a break while scrolling or anything else for that matter - but if you have a good setup where your arms are at the right height to the saw table - you have good padding to stand on - etc. Keep taking breaks until you get use to it

I stood the whole time, I dont have a chair yet. I stood on a concrete garage floor :)

mbeach

New User
Mike
Mike, you did a great job on that! I'm glad you had fun.

Tony - I've cuts tons of BB ply and not had any problem with the glue on the blades.

Mike, sorry for hijacking your thread.

You did not hijack my thread. Thanks for the input. I did not have any problems with the glue and the blades. I went through about 3 blades.

mbeach

New User
Mike
Thanks everyone for the compliments, I really enjoyed working on this. And turns out I love scrolling. Should i put any kind of finish on the piece or leave as is? Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Looks good Mike...ain't scrolling fun?

Ted...Just noticed your picture as being a bassette. What are you nuts. Don't you know those dogs are brain dead? We're on our third and just can't seem to get anything else. I do believe at our age this will be our last tho... Can't beat them as pups!
RoseasBasselope-small.jpg
Rose1.jpg

Rose in now 17 and not as friskey as she was..but then who is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS