First of 2 questions about crosscutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfden

New User
Andy
Early in my woodworking "career" I built a crosscut sled that has been used extensively. Recently, I purchased a used Incra Miter 5000 which has been used little. I am thinking of replacing my crosscut sled with a newer more accurate one. My question is whether the Miter 5000 replaces a shop made sled or if I need both. Any input would be appreciated.

Andy

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I recently got to see an Incra 5000 up close and really like it. It is far more accurate than anything I can make. Very stable. Easy to operate and adapt to different cuts.

Not sure about a used one. Was it set up for the same model saw you have? If not you may have to replace the sled (MDF) part.

ehpoole

Ethan
It really depends upon what you need in terms of maximum depth. I use several of the Incra 3000SE miter gauges for my tablesaw, bandsaw, and router table and love them. Properly adjusted they are very accurate and repeatable and good for any practical angle with excellent precision.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have the Incra system. I have nothing but positives to say about any of their products. They are high quality and are extremely accurate. I use my system for all final crosscuts. The Incra box joint jig is also a very nice addition to any shop.

However, if the sliding table had been available for my sawstop when I purchased this, I think I would have waited. I have been considering the sliding table for some time but the $1k price tag is steep. I think this is by far the most accurate and safe alternative fro crosscuts

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I use several of the Incra 3000SE miter gauges as well. I had a sled I used all the time, but once I got my first Incra setup, it went to the shadows of my shop.

Last edited:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Early in my woodworking "career" I built a crosscut sled that has been used extensively. Recently, I purchased a used Incra Miter 5000 which has been used little. I am thinking of replacing my crosscut sled with a newer more accurate one. My question is whether the Miter 5000 replaces a shop made sled or if I need both. Any input would be appreciated.

Andy
Are you a gadget guy? What sort of things do you make? My guess is if you have one and dont use it, why start now?

wolfden

New User
Andy
Are you a gadget guy? What sort of things do you make? My guess is if you have one and dont use it, why start now?
I have made things from simple dressers to large computer desk. I have used my sled extensively but it is wearing out. I have plans for a new one but for the effort, I'm thinking that the Incra is a better bet.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Main drawback to miter gauge is you're limited on width of board because you can only pull the gauge back to edge of table or else it will catch when pushing.

Other than that, they're fine. I have a Jess'm and two sleds - one large, one small. I hardly ever use the miter gauge any more.

I think this guy has one of the best sled designs I've seen. Its a bit "gadgety" but what is really neat is you can vary the kerf width to accommodate dados.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have a cross cut sled, and only a 'standard' not upgraded miter gauge.
- For moderately large pieces I like the cross cut sled because it carries the piece with it, there is no "rotational force" (or drag from the table surface) on the piece being cut as I move the sled across the table. For really large pieces (longer than 4' from blade, wider than 1-2"), cuts become unwieldy for the sled and certainly for my miter gauge; neither offer enough lateral support for larger, longer, or heavier pieces.
- For small cutoffs and pieces, I definitely prefer the cross cut sled. I find it easier to keep piece in place before and after the cut (mostly because they are riding on a platform rather than sliding on the table surface).

Does the Incra gauge you have, or the one you are considering, have a platform that moves with the pieces? That would be a requirement for me if I were to consider an upgraded gauge.

wolfden

New User
Andy
I have a cross cut sled, and only a 'standard' not upgraded miter gauge.
- For moderately large pieces I like the cross cut sled because it carries the piece with it, there is no "rotational force" (or drag from the table surface) on the piece being cut as I move the sled across the table. For really large pieces (longer than 4' from blade, wider than 1-2"), cuts become unwieldy for the sled and certainly for my miter gauge; neither offer enough lateral support for larger, longer, or heavier pieces.
- For small cutoffs and pieces, I definitely prefer the cross cut sled. I find it easier to keep piece in place before and after the cut (mostly because they are riding on a platform rather than sliding on the table surface).

Does the Incra gauge you have, or the one you are considering, have a platform that moves with the pieces? That would be a requirement for me if I were to consider an upgraded gauge.

Thanks for the thoughts. The Incra Miter 5000 does have a piece on both sides of the blade so it give support as well as moving somewhat with the piece. Here is the link to the Incra page with a photo and description.

http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_Miter_5000_p/miter5000.htm

Andy

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
For me, I like the Incra sled to cut unusual angles. I like a calibrated 90 degree sled for 90 crosscut. I probably could trust the Incra, but when you go through the 5 cut method to calibrate you realize how much stability it takes to get reliable 90 degree cuts within acceptable tolerance. So, I like having both. Also, I think if you want to do picture or mirror frames, you are better off with a calibrated dual 45 sled. All opinions. The Incra is a great unit.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Incra 5000 is a sled, it has hold down clamps, a sliding clamp for the long arm of the miter bar, adjustable arm out to over 50 inches I think with flip stops. All this plus the incredible repeatability of the Incra gauge built in to 1/2 degree increments. It can be setup for right hand or left hand cut from the blade. I can't think of many things I would use a home built sled for instead of the 5000 if I had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS