First Fountain Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
Not hard to do at all, and I even learned how to write with one. I've never wrote with one before.

Wood is african blackwood, cap is made out of antler.

fountain.jpg

fount.jpg

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Cool looking pen, Rob! I'd say you've got this pen turning thing down pat.:icon_thum

Rob

New User
Rob
Nah, still making mistakes, the antler cap turned out of round for some reason, it doesn't meet the center band correctly. Still looks good, but I think I may have bent my mandrel. Only reason I can see that something would turn out of round.

I do like the antler/blackwood combo though. I might do a couple more like that.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
May not be permanently bent. Tightening the tail stock too much can bend it enough to throw it out-of-round, until you loosen it up a bit. DAMHIKT:gar-Bi

Rob

New User
Rob
May not, but I don't really tighten the tailstock, I just slide it up and lock it down. But I will check, getting ready to go turn my first Sierra pen.

Rob

New User
Rob
I took the rod from my mandrel and rolled it on the table saw. (cast iron table, I know it's straight.) The rod rolled straight so I think you may be right, I had the tail stock too tight.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Good looking pen. I did the same thing with my Mandrel I had to loosen the tailstock and things became much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS