First Cedar Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Well I think my first cedar box is a disaster.

The tails in my joints were breaking off, and it did not go together as well as expected. I used the jig I bought from Woodline; http://www.woodline.com/p-1825-route-r-joint-precision-dovetail-joinery-system.aspx at the Charlotte woodworking show for the first time. The cedar seemed to be brittle in the joints. Is this a characteristic of cedar? I planed it down to 1/2" to make the box. As for the finish, I think it went well. The box was rushed a little as I usually do. I have got to learn to not get in a hurry and I think my projects will turn out much better. The next one will be better, cause I am going to slow down.:BangHead::BangHead:

Rob

New User
Rob
I haven't had much luck with box joints, I bought the same jig. Jig worked well, I just think I lacked the patience to set everything up.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yeah red cedar is pretty brittle, I don't even try to dovetail it.

(oh, I thought it was dovetailed)

I'm working on a cedar box, maybe I can make some pictures later.

Keep working at it, maybe try hand cut dovetails, they work better in hard to manage wood.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
ERC is a ***** to work with. It is very brittle and will give you problems with machine cut DTs or box joints. I actually find the fitting of box joints more difficult than DTs. There is so much more room for error. If you have to force box joints together, something is sure to break off. But if they aren't a force fit, then it doesn't look tight enough :BangHead::BangHead:

Wax on, wax off Grasshopper. Only practice will make you better.

Dave:)

TracyP

Tracy
ERC is a ***** to work with. It is very brittle and will give you problems with machine cut DTs or box joints. I actually find the fitting of box joints more difficult than DTs. There is so much more room for error. If you have to force box joints together, something is sure to break off. But if they aren't a force fit, then it doesn't look tight enough :BangHead::BangHead:

Wax on, wax off Grasshopper. Only practice will make you better.

Dave:)

That is exactly the problem I had. Too tight and the joints broke, too loose and the joints looked like Fido's ***. This will be the project that I learn from. I got enough cedar to screw up several of these and not spend a ton of $$. I have gave some away (which makes me happy) and have some to work with. Maybe dove tails will be the next trial. Somewhere in this the Loml will net a new jewelry box. :icon_scra:icon_scra

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
As others have said, dry ERC can be brittle. I use a saw/dado blade, a box joint jig, and my table saw. I have never made box joints with a router, but suspect some of the principles are the same:

• Use a good jig. I prefer a box joint jig and a tablesaw for cutting box joints.
  • Whatever you use, ensure the saw blade or router bit is SHARP
  • Feed the stock carefully and slowly
  • Make test cuts to ensure your settings are correct
I made two ERC boxes for some old sharpening stones (I don't know why, but it seems to be a tradition to store sharpening stones in cedar boxes like the ones below from Woodcraft??). I milled my ERC box stock to 1/4" and cut the box joint fingers 1/8" which is pretty thin. I had no problems with over-tight fit and did not break any fingers.

144788.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Tracy, if you want to learn patients you should take up scrolling - that will really slow you down:rotflm:I haven't tried it yet but there is away you can cut those dovetails on the scrollsaw - I will try it soon and let you know how it comes out

Phillip

TracyP

Tracy
Tracy, if you want to learn patients you should take up scrolling - that will really slow you down:rotflm:I haven't tried it yet but there is away you can cut those dovetails on the scrollsaw - I will try it soon and let you know how it comes out

Phillip

It is strange that I have all the patience that I need in ever thing else in my life. But when it comes to building something I have NO patience, I guess I am too anxious to see the outcome. I can disassemble and rebuild the most intricate piece of equipment or electronic device and take hours to do it; Build a wooden box and it comes out like this one:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:.
I will somewhat conquer this thing called woodworking, all in due time with the instruction and help from this group of people.:notworthy::notworthy:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I cut the dovetails for my first machinist tool box in 3/8 plywood with a scroll saw. It worked pretty well and the box is still together.

T

toolferone

I personally don't care to ever work with ERC again for all the reasons above. You are a better man then I.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Tracy. hang onto that box. It will be a reminder of how you have progressed in WW'ing. If anyone asks, tell them it is your rendition of "primitive WW'ing".

sawduster

New User
Robert
Oh I should have such disasters :gar-La; I would be tickled to death with results like that ! Cedar is brittle when scrolling as well , but that is what CA glue is for !
I have some good info on scrollsaw dovetails if you are interested

as for being on a hurry, I can relate to that as well. My solution is to have one or more projects going so I can work on something else while other things are drying :widea:

Methinks you have done well sir :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tracy I would be proud of a 1st attempt like that. I believe we learn from every woodworking project. I have cut box joints on a scroll saw with some success but I have not tried cedar.

I saw a live demo of this Lee Valley jig at the spring Raleigh Klingspor show. Might be the way to go.

05t0301g1.jpg

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Tracy,

Dovetails or Box joints are a pain in ERC. I know I've tried many times. I now use either Miller dowels or brass pins at the joints. Quicker and less heart ache.

Rick Doby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS