First Bowl

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
This was a very different project for me. I learned quite a few things the most important of which is that a catch with a bowl gouge produces some very dramatic effects. I'm thinking body armor might be a good idea!
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Dude! If that's your first bowl...look out Charlie and others there's a new kid in town.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Dude! If that's your first bowl...look out Charlie and others there's a new kid in town.
I appreciate the comment but, Charlie's bowls (and many others on this site) are in a totally different solar system from this effort. I'm still trying to learn what can be done and cannot be done with the tools I have. I know that this relatively small bowl maxed out the scraper that I have. It is fun to turn something though because it takes little time relative to building a bed or chest. Thanks!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I appreciate the comment but, Charlie's bowls (and many others on this site) are in a totally different solar system from this effort. I'm still trying to learn what can be done and cannot be done with the tools I have. I know that this relatively small bowl maxed out the scraper that I have. It is fun to turn something though because it takes little time relative to building a bed or chest. Thanks!
Mark, It would be great if you could attend the Segmented Turning Workshop on the 23rd.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark, It would be great if you could attend the Segmented Turning Workshop on the 23rd.
Charlie, I would learn a tremendous amount and would love to come, but it is a 10 hour round trip and just can't pull it off this time. Thanks though.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
THAT is your first bowl? I'd be mortified to show my first bowl. Back then, I didnt even know what a bowl gouge was. I turned it using a roughing gouge...haha. I've only been at this for a couple years now, but I'd be ecstatic with that result NOW. Very nicely done, sir.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors