First and Second Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
These are the pens I turned during the Pen Turning 101 class at Woodcraft. The bottom one (my 1st) is a Toni twist using Tulipwood. The top one (my second) is a Gold slimline using Sassafras from a small tree that died in my sister's yard in Garner. I gave it to my BIL.

Nothing fancy but I had fun.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
pretty good for first pens. mine first couple didnt turn out that good. you may want to keep the first one so ya can look back at it after 50 or more are under your belt an laugh. the finish is the hardest part to learn.

fred p

cskipper

Cathy
Great firsts! I need to turn a few - for the first time in about a year. I hope I remember how!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Good job Dolan. Did you have fun? Looks like you're off to a good start. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great start, I really like the Tulipwood, it's one of my favorite woods to turn. You look a little proud at the nibs, which is better than a little shy. I have begun using calipers to check my bushings to the fittings and then checking the barrels to make sure I am getting down to the exact diameter. What did you finish with??

Dave:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
They look great. Congrats on a job well done! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I have yet to try Tulipwood. Is that its natural color?

DaveO

New User
DaveO

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Great looking pens.:icon_thum

Does that make me an old timer, now that someone else has done a pen after me? :rolf::rolf:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Great start, I really like the Tulipwood, it's one of my favorite woods to turn. You look a little proud at the nibs, which is better than a little shy. I have begun using calipers to check my bushings to the fittings and then checking the barrels to make sure I am getting down to the exact diameter. What did you finish with??

Dave:)

Dave, you have keen eyes. If you run your fingernail over the nib to the barrel it is just a slight bit proud. You are right about needing to check everything with the caliper. I completed my first pen today on the GW Lathe and the barrels were smooth and flush with the bushing on the mandrel but when I assembled the pen it was just a wee bit proud at the nib BUT the center band was .006" smaller than the bushing so it was way proud at the center. :BangHead::BangHead: We used HUT Crystal Coat for the finish. We sanded to 600 but did not use MM.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dave, you have keen eyes. If you run your fingernail over the nib to the barrel it is just a slight bit proud. You are right about needing to check everything with the caliper. I completed my first pen today on the GW Lathe and the barrels were smooth and flush with the bushing on the mandrel but when I assembled the pen it was just a wee bit proud at the nib BUT the center band was .006" smaller than the bushing so it was way proud at the center. :BangHead::BangHead: We used HUT Crystal Coat for the finish. We sanded to 600 but did not use MM.

Wow Dolan, apparently you aren't wasting any time put the GW to good use. And I gather from your comments (we), that you are sharing the opportunity with LOYL. Now that makes it even better :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS