Finishing space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
For those that don't have dedicated finishing rooms, how do you set up to spray? Expert and non-expert opinions and answers welcome! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
non-expert

I have a solid core door set up that is near my windows and sink in my shop. I use an HVLP turbine set up (used to use a HVLP conversion gun). I partially open the dore, open the window, and insert a box fan blowing the air out. Personally, I think HVLP or LVLP is the key to being able to spray in a small shop. High pressure guns have just too much overspray in my opinion.

I do try to semi vacuum/clean up in the general area. I put a drop cloth over the bench/door, but on top of that, I use brown paper I buy from the BORG to keep from ruining my drop cloth with over spray. I have it mounted on a roller set up so all I have to do is roll off enough for whatever I am spraying. Heck, it even works well when I am working on say a small engine or something to keep from getting grease all over the door/bench.

When I was doing the cabinet project a while back I had built a lazy susan set up with wheels on it and screws through the top so I could rotate stuff, but as much lacquer as I sprayed it was useless by the time I was done. I have bought several sets of those new pyramid thingys. In a way they are a blessing and in other ways a PAIN. Still, having a plan/method for rotating and spraying the stuff is key.

I have become preferential to the Nitrite gloves from Harbor Freight. They sell true extra large, and hold up better than latex to finishing materials.

I did have a drying rack that I had built for that project, but dismantled it since it was so big and I don't spray a project with that many parts very often. Normally, I just distribute the sprayed parts around the shop as I finish spraying them.

I am going to use some precat and/or nitrocellulose lacquer soon (FRED YOU WILL BE VISITING WHEN I DO), but to date, I have stuck with spraying WB Lacquers. I have become very preferential to using dyes when I need to do coloring and now try to stay away from pigment stains like Minwax. I can spray dye very quickly, and it is super easy.

Lastly, I wear a respirator. I bought it from Lowes as they sell the replacement cartridges for it as well. When not in use, it is stashed in a 1 gallon ziploc bag.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Sometime this decade, when I get some storage built and my lumber organized, I will have room for a finishing area. My plan is to make a simple table with a lazy susan so the project can be rotated. To contain the overspray, I'll hang a shower curtain from the ceiling around three sides of the table. Of course, open a window for fresh air. The shower curtain can be drawn back and the table removed if I need to get to the lumber rack.

See the picture below. The table will sit by the window. You can see the 1x material on the ceiling from which the shower curtain will hang (I didn't put it there...I believe the previous owner was a woodworker!). Of course, this space is a complete disaster area right now holding lumber, sheet goods, junk, DC fittings, lights and numerous boxes. But the idea is that one day along the wall there will be a lumber rack!

finishing_3.jpg

View image in gallery

I plan to only spray water-based finishes and shellac inside. For oil-based finishes...I can easily open the door and spray on the little patio area if necessary, assuming of course it's not raining, not too warm, not too cold, and there's not a lot of wind. I won't be spraying a lot of oil :) You can't see this in the picture, but there's a sink in this room (wall opposite the window). That's really important, and a real luxury. Like Travis, I have an HVLP gun, although not quite as fancy (Earlex 5000).

At my previous place, I built a knockdown spray booth using 2" PVC pipe and fittings (roughly 6'x10'x4'), and some cheap shower curtains (Dollar General). I'd set it up in the garage (light, power) but leave the door open for ventilation. The shower curtains prevented a lot of dust settling on the project, and limited the overspray. As long as you don't glue the pipe, you can easily assemble/ disassemble it in about 5 minutes.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I used my three car garage as a spray booth. I would blow out the garage the day before to get rid of dirt and junk. I then used milk crates to hold all my pieces I was spraying. If I needed heat, I had a kerosene torpedo heater that warmed up the garage nicely. I used a HVLP sprayer and water based lacquer. It worked well and I had plenty of room to work.

Red

DavidF

New User
David
I must say the key to spraying in a non dedicated space is to use water based finish and HVLP. Before I spray I use the air gun to blow down the ceiling and walls while running the Jet over head air filter. Sweep and possibly damp down the floor, and then leave it for 24 hrs then do it again, especially if the piece is flat and large, like a table top or set of doors. I uses a simple drop cloth to cover the other close machinery but that's all. WB stuff dries to a fine white powder within a few feet of the spray area and has never caused a problem for me to wipe off any surface afterwards. Contrary to what you might read, it has NEVER caused rust on a metal surface it has landed on as this dust. I agree you need to plan how you are going to spray the piece all around before you even begin. A lazy susan will definitely help for the smaller parts.

Glennbear

Glenn
non-expert

I have a solid core door set up that is near my windows and sink in my shop. I use an HVLP turbine set up (used to use a HVLP conversion gun). I partially open the dore, open the window, and insert a box fan blowing the air out. Personally, I think HVLP or LVLP is the key to being able to spray in a small shop. High pressure guns have just too much overspray in my opinion. If I am using a solvent based finish I am concerned with vapors/overspray and the non explosion proof motor on my box fan so I place the work piece between the fan and the open window so that vapors are exhausted without passing through the fan.

I do try to semi vacuum/clean up in the general area. I put a drop cloth over the bench/door, but on top of that, I use brown paper I buy from the BORG to keep from ruining my drop cloth with over spray. I have it mounted on a roller set up so all I have to do is roll off enough for whatever I am spraying. Heck, it even works well when I am working on say a small engine or something to keep from getting grease all over the door/bench. I use brown paper also and freezer paper for smaller jobs.

When I was doing the cabinet project a while back I had built a lazy susan set up with wheels on it and screws through the top so I could rotate stuff, but as much lacquer as I sprayed it was useless by the time I was done. I have bought several sets of those new pyramid thingys. In a way they are a blessing and in other ways a PAIN. Still, having a plan/method for rotating and spraying the stuff is key. Rotating the workpiece as opposed to walking around it with the gun does make things a dang sight easier. I use lazy susan hardware mounted between two 3/4" pieces of plywood. Depending on the size of the project you can add larger ply pieces.

I have become preferential to the Nitrite gloves from Harbor Freight. They sell true extra large, and hold up better than latex to finishing materials. My last box of nitrile gloves was from HF and I have to agree on the sizing. Nitrle gloves are a lot sturdier and chemical resistant than latex IMHO and the one size fits all available in wallyworld seem to be undersized.

I did have a drying rack that I had built for that project, but dismantled it since it was so big and I don't spray a project with that many parts very often. Normally, I just distribute the sprayed parts around the shop as I finish spraying them. I recently discovered that the tracks for my shop overhead door are a handy place for hanging drying cabinet door frames etc.

I am going to use some precat and/or nitrocellulose lacquer soon (FRED YOU WILL BE VISITING WHEN I DO), but to date, I have stuck with spraying WB Lacquers. I have become very preferential to using dyes when I need to do coloring and now try to stay away from pigment stains like Minwax. I can spray dye very quickly, and it is super easy.

Lastly, I wear a respirator. I bought it from Lowes as they sell the replacement cartridges for it as well. When not in use, it is stashed in a 1 gallon ziploc bag.
:icon_thum I use a respirator purchased at the BORG and found that the bag storage works well, a lot of folks do not realize that sitting on a shelf uncovered does reduce the service life of cartridges and the mask itself accumulates dust.

wayne

New User
wayne
:icon_thum I use a respirator purchased at the BORG and found that the bag storage works well, a lot of folks do not realize that sitting on a shelf uncovered does reduce the service life of cartridges and the mask itself accumulates dust.

When storing these type respirators you should also remove the cotton pre-filters if it has them before placing it in airtight bag.If they are in the bag with the charcoal filters they contribute to reduced service life of the cartridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS