Finishing/ sealing ROUGH sawn cedar

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hi folks - finally wrapping up an outdoor kitchen project I started awhile back, and will be installing a western cedar arbor behind it, wired for lights, etc. after reading several recommendations online, I went w/ rough sawn cedar vs plained/ smooth, as the rough sawn lets sealer get deeper into the open poures, etc for longevity, and I think the “shaggy” look will look natural/ blend in, and create some cool shadow lines when uplit.

That said, re: finishing - I’ve read that you’re just supposed to brush or roll w/ the grain. Easy enough, but my Q is should I al least try to knock down some of the “fuzziness” w/ a sander beforehand, or just roll in 1 direction, and lay the fibers down that way, like combing a cow-lick, ha.

Any experience in working w/ the rough stuff here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9912.jpeg
    IMG_9912.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9913.jpeg
    IMG_9913.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9914.jpeg
    IMG_9914.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
might try a single pass (or two) with a smoothing or jack plane instead of sanding - should take off a bit of the rough feel without affecting the appearance much.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Great advise guys - thanks! Re: a sprayer, I've never done that method, but it certainly makes sense to flood the surface in a hurry, and then back-brush. That said, I suppose the approach is to buy a cheap one, and trash it after? I cant see cleaning oil based stain out of a sprayer being super effective.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I have used a garden sprayer successfully on things like this. You will use much more product with a spryer than with a brush or roller.

Reactions: HMH

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I've used a brass brush to remove some of the loose fibers. Then a rattle can of spray might give you an easy finish.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I did this as I wanted to keep that rough look but not be rough yet be protected. I found that using 220 grit with a very light pass (virtually no pressure) was adequate to knock off the fuzzies but not alert the rough look. Then I built up coats of spare urethane just before the next coat would overtake the rough. The result was a very smooth feeling finish yet was rough sawn in appearance that you can dust off with a towel w/o having the roughness "catch" the towel.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Thanks all - I actually finished this project up last weekend, (along w/ the stone, counters, getting the grill components set, etc). Still need to install the lights in the posts, but all functional otherwise. Re: finish, I ended up just brushing on SW woodscapes in Cedar bark color, and am very happy w/ the results. Brushing w/ the grain laid all of the “fuzzies” down nicely, and I must admit I do much prefer the rough sawn look here/ in this application. It isn’t in an area easily contacted directly, so the rough texture gives a nice natural look w/o worrying about splinters in day to day contact - just wear gloves when installing, ha.

Edit - forgive the overcast morning pics, the color is more of a medium brown in normal daylight. Also, the primary grill is 60” wide for scale - definitely massive.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpeg
    IMG_0018.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0019.jpeg
    IMG_0019.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors