Finishing Sander vs Random Orbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
My projects have gravitated more toward case goods recently. I use an ancient Craftsman finishing sander which uses a 1/3 sheet and is selectable for straight line or orbital. I THINK it does everything I need but it's so old that I'm toying with the idea of getting something newer.

Right now I'm looking at a ROS like maybe the Bosch 1250DEVS and at finishing sanders like the Bosch 1293D. It appears that the ROS are all disc and the finishing sander is 1/2 sheet. I'm accustomed to the rectangular format which works well for the inside of a chest although I guess the disc (which I have never used) would leave only the inside corners. I can also see possible advantages to the "Turbo" mode on the ROS.

Then there's buying a whole new disc supply vs tearing sheets which I do now.

Anybody have any insights to offer? Thanks.

Stan Messick

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that ROS can be more aggressive sanders, but still leave a nice surface almost free of sanding marks. Finish sanders are just that, they are good for the final finish sanding. I primely use my ROS, except in cases where I need to get into corners, then I use a 1/4 sheet finish sander. I find that in most cases hand sanding with the grain and a sanding block achieves results similar to my finish sander.
Paper for a finish sander is considerably less expensive than the disks (H&L or PSA) for a ROS, but I find that the disks last longer. I still have sheet sandpaper for hand sanding, so I feel that I need to buy both anyways. I have just recently used some better grade sandpaper from Klingspor instead of the usual stuff I get at the BORG, and it is is much better sandpaper. I will be getting my sanding supplies from them now on.
MTCW,
Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
I mainly use the Ridgid ROS followed by hand sanding with the grain and the results are good. For those awkward little jobs I have a B&D "mouse" which, contrary to my initial thoughts, has proved to be a great addition to the sanding arsenal.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have a DeWalt ROS and a Bosch 1/4 sheet finishing sander. I like the Bosch for that "light touch" sanding.

Nativespec

New User
David
I have a Bosch 6" ros with the 2 mode sanding-sells for about $230. I also have the Porter Cable 1/4 sheet finishing sander (it is the better model-about $75). The ROS sanders are better for taking off material and are good for finishing, but you are limited in grit selection. The 1/4 sheet sander has unlimited grit selection and I will use 600 grit on the final poly coat prior to applying wax. Also, the Bosch does a great job at dust collection when connected to a shop vac., the finishing sander can only create dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS