Finished My Queen Anne Dressing Table

Dean

Dean
Corporate Member
I just finished this Queen Anne Dressing Table.
Details;
Primary Wood; Curly Cherry
Secondary Wood; Ash
Hardware; Queen Anne bail pulls from Horton Brasses
Finish; General Finishes Enduro Var II, six coats, rubbed down between each coat with progressively finer Scotch Abrasive PadsView attachment 211844View attachment 211845View attachment 211846View attachment 211847
I was looking for a somewhat smaller table for a specific spot in my house and this worked out great. This is a sister piece to a Queen Anne Highboy I made a couple of years ago and they go together really nice.View attachment 211848Thanks for looking.
Beautiful work! Love the cherry. Thanks for sharing pictures. Curious on how you make the legs… I’m trying to think of how to do that and have no idea where I’d start on those

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Dean, Thank you for your compliments. Making cabriole legs is not as difficult or complicated as some think. If you have a band saw, some good rasps, a lathe and time, it can be an enjoyable task. It usually takes me about two hours to make each leg from a 3"x 3" x 24" (or whatever) blank to the finished and sanded leg. One of the best guides to making them is in a book "Queen Anne Furniture, History, Design and Construction" by Norman Vandal. I am not sure where you are located, but I am retired and have time on my hand. If I can be of any help, do not hesitate to let me know.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

Rob Liles

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
My compliments on the craftsmanship and the cherry is very nice (I LOVE cherry!!). Especially the fan. Did you carve it? I've only tried one and I wasn't very proud of it.

How did you finish it?

You're right about cabriole legs. I practiced them for a table I never built and they really aren't that bad. Phil Lowe has a good video on that. Glen Huey has technique that doesn't require a lathe to make the foot and really works quite well. If you don't want to glue up, the biggest issue can be finding stock. I can't find true 12/4 anything very often.

BTW I can recommend any of the furnituremaking books by Glen Huey. If you can stand all that crazy figured tiger maple!!

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
I agree, Norman Vandals book on Queen Anne furniture is the best. I believe it’s out of print now though. Also any video or article by Phil Lowe is a winner.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
DrBob, I did carve the fan. It is the third fan carving I have done on furniture and I really liked this one with its undulating rays. The finish is General Finish Enduro Var II, six coats sprayed and wiped down between coats with progressively finer Scotch-Brite synthetic abrasive pads. Also, I have had no problem finding 12/4 stock at The Hardwood Store. I have purchased 12/4 walnut and cherry with very good results. This particular piece called for curly stock which I got from the same guy I get all my curly cherry and figured walnut stock from, Curlymaplewood.com. Not cheap but extremely good quality stock. He doesn't always have 12/4 stock but it does pop up from time to time.

I really appreciate your input.

Rob Liles

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS