Finish for outdoor bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL Spicer

New User
Al
Hello,

I have no experience with finishing outdoors furniture. I’m looking for recommendations as to what would be the best finish for a Red Oak bench I’m working on. Any help would be appreciated.

Al

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Because red oak is not usually used outdoors, I would use a marine finish like spar urethane. Be sure to get the bottom of the legs extra good. Don't set it in the ground, keep it on the porch or deck.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Be aware that any clear finish subjected to long periods of exposure to sunlight will require periodic scuff sanding and re-coating. The UV in sunlight attacks the finish causing it to become cloudy and then crack and peel. Further, avoid any big box "poly spar varnish" as the UV quickly causes urethane to deteriorate and is will crack and peel in very short order.

Go to a true marine supply store and look for a non-poly marine exterior varnish. Look for brands like Pettit, Interlux or, best of all, Epifanes.

On another point, there is no problem with using red oak. There is a problem with red oak if it is in contact with or exposed to water and not properly coated. That said, a better choice would be to use white oak. It it's good enough for wine and bourbon, it's good enough for a bench.

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I've had excellent luck with Interlux Sikkens Cetol. I like their wood finishes because they don't have a lot of solids. I use a two step process starting with their tinted finish and finishing up with with the clear stuff. It works great on wood surfaces that will be out in the elements for extended periods of time. Jamestown Distributors and Defender Marine are good sources.

Since red oak is porous along its length, make sure you seal end grain such as the bottoms of the legs well. I'd impregnate the end grain areas with epoxy before applying the finish.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I am in 100% agreement with using a high quality marine spar varnish. I have used both Cetol and Epiphanes, and like both. If you talk with boating people, and with suppliers who sell both products, I think that you will find that Epiphanes is the gold standard. Whatever you use, it still will need to be maintained with periodic re-coating. Follow the instructions on the can. Unfortunately the product that lasts indefinitely outdoors requiring no ongoing maintenance has not been invented. Finally, don't go cheap and buy a "marine varnish" at a big box store. Spend the extra money and get a quality product. You will be glad that you did.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS