Fine Woodworking

Status
Not open for further replies.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
The latest magazine came out and there is an article in it about a mixed finish utilizing varnish, tung oil, turpentine and japan drier. The article states it is good for regular use items and makes repair easier than say a poly finish.

I am working on a kitchen island/high table (top of table is jeff's spalted maple and walnut) and originally was going to use poly for the finish. After reading the article I am beginning to lean toward's it. Any thoughts, comments suggestions? I want something that will stand up to use but provide if the finish gets dinged or marked up will allow for easier touch up.

Thanks for any comments.

tv

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
There are a couple of "mixes or home brews" being used by various woodworkers. Sam Maloof uses one I think that is comprised of 1/3 varnish or poly, 1/3 BLO, and 1/3 naptha. Probably the best sources about these are books by Jeff Jewitt, Micheal Dresdner, or Bob Flexner. Jeff Jewitt's Homestead Finishing website has a rundown of all the various commercially available finishes, but I couldn't find anything there about "home brews".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS