Fine handsaw bargains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
I've only tried one of the three I bought, and it was very good. Better than one from Rockler, at about a fifth the price.

JohnW

New User
John
I'm going to order a couple small Zona saws from these folks and report back on quality. I've taken a lot of advice from Mark Singer back in my woodworking "formative years", and know him to only recommend good tools, or at least good quality respective of the price.

Note: This web site also sells "bullfrog snot"...so if anyone needs to stock up:dontknow:

JohnW

New User
John
Little more info...These saws are made by Zona. (zonatool.net) Zona and Olson (bandsaw & scroll saw blades) are both divisions of Blackstone Ind. I noticed that the small Zona hand saws looked exactly like the saws sold by Stewart McDonald (guitar builder supplier)

I have interest in these saws because they are available in different kerf sizes. Going from 0.008" up to 0.020". They are used to rough cut the slots in bridges and nuts on stringed instruments.

Thanks Dan, I've been wanting to try these saws as I think it will be MUCH faster than using files. Will still need the files for final shaping but 90% of the work can be done with the saws.

DavidF

New User
David
For a dovetail saw the most important aspect is simply cutting in a straight line and it's this aspect that seems to elude most of the "lower end" saw manufacturers, even those that have received good reviews in wood magazines - Think Crown DT saws; fine once fettled, but out of the box a disaster. At the moment it seems to take a $200 saw to achieve what should be a "birth right" of a saw!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS