Figured Maple For Memory Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeNC

New User
Lee
My MIL passed away last week and I am going to make a memory box for my wife. I have some nice sapele I picked up from The Woodworking source. (Rick is a great guy and if you have not already checked his store out, well worth the trip.) For the lid, I need to find some interesting maple (tiger, spalted, curly…) or other interesting light wood. The finished dimensions for the lid will be 11 ½ X 9 ½ X ½. Does anyone here have or have a source in the Charlotte/ N Charlotte area that sells boards like this?

For inquiring minds, the box design is a scaled up version form an article in Fine Woodworking #201. I am going to have my MIL’s name and a Bible quote chosen by my wife engraved in the top of the box. From a previous thread I was going to contact www.etchrightengraving.com to see if they can do the engraving.

Thanks,

LeeNC

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Lee, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

You might want to shoot Kyle (that's his screen name too) here a message. I've gotten some beautiful curly maple from him before and he's not too far from you, he's in Iron Station.

bluthart

New User
Brian
If Kyle doesn't have any dry I have some, since you only need a little. I don't mean to sound stingy, but I don't have a whole lot!

LeeNC

New User
Lee
If Kyle doesn't have any dry I have some, since you only need a little. I don't mean to sound stingy, but I don't have a whole lot!

Thanks for the help. I will shoot an email to Kyle and see if he has some.

Lee

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Lee - for your project I would happily give you some if you like and we can get it from here (Raleigh-ish) to there (Charlotte).

I have some soft maple that is combo curly, spalted and ambrosia'd. It's unusual stuff.

I'll try to snap a couple pix tonight and you can see what you think.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS