Figured it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
My shop hiatus has continued for 2 months now. However, after going over to ScottM's place this morning and being around/lifting/loading/talking about tools and wood, I was really motivated to come home and finally get down in the shop and make something. :wink_smil

I started by moving my stereo back down there for the long afternoon of sawdust making. :widea: Got it down there, hooked it up, hooked the laptop to it and had my tunes going. :headbang: After that, I walked around, looking at pieces of wood and letting the wheels turn. :eusa_thin

"I could make a new coffee table?"

"No, don't have enough wood and not enough space for the old one." :eusa_doh:

"Oh! We need a coat rack!"

"Where on Earth would we put it though? :icon_scra Oh, and it's summer time, genius." :slap:

"How about a rustic chair for the back porch?"

"It won't fit on the back porch." :BangHead:

"Ah, heck, why don't I just turn a bowl."

(Go back upstairs and notice that in the den alone there are over 12 bowls, most of which have nothing in them but dust):swoon::swoon::swoon:

After about an hour of this, I was on my way back upstairs with the stereo and laptop. :sad11:

It was at that point that it occurred to me. :widea: I had finally figured it out! :elvis: The reason I haven't been in the shop is that we simply don't have the space to fit anything else in our apartment. :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm: My head has been spinning with things to build, but alas, where would we put them? :dontknow: Oh well, I guess the hiatus will continue until we get out of this tiny little place. :wsad:

Thanks for letting me share my epiphany. :gar-La;

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Get started on Christmas presents. Cutting boards & candle holders are always good.

Or come over to my shop and help me build some cabinets :)

Anyway, glad to know your lack of woodworking is logistical, not inspirational. You'll get around it eventually!

dlrion

New User
Dan
Yeah! Gifts are the best ever, and you ask for exotic woods for christmas.

Work with your new wood all year and give it back next year!

RickC

New User
Rick
Trent, it is funny how the morning had the same effect on me! After wrapping up with Scott, I went to Pittsboro to pick up some cedar cutoffs from Bobbyg. Came back to the shop and went to set them down. Too much junk had accumulated - so I started doing some cleaning.

Got my new-to-me sand-flee put together and tested; got rid of some of the small cutoffs that had been sitting around for over a year.; (don't know if you were in on that conversation this AM), and exposed the surface of my workbench!

Also stumbled across some 8/4 walnut about 18-20" long and 3-4" wide that I will take a picture of and post in case some pen turner would like some free stock.

It was nice to have a jump-start to get back to the shop!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Get started on Christmas presents. Cutting boards & candle holders are always good.

Or come over to my shop and help me build some cabinets :)

Anyway, glad to know your lack of woodworking is logistical, not inspirational. You'll get around it eventually!

Bas, if the cabinet build is going to be an ongoing project, I'd be happy to stop by and [STRIKE]ruin perfectly good wood[/STRIKE] help out. :rolf: Seriously, if I know I have a day free next weekend or one of the following weekends, I'll send you a pm. :icon_thum

I like the suggestions about starting Christmas presents. :eusa_thin Reminds me of last year when I started at the beginning of December. :swoon: Time to start making my list.....

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Trent Christmas is a scant 4 months away (+/-).
I've been slowly working on a few projects trying to get ready.
4 months sounds like an eternity but in a few days when Christmas is in a couple of weeks and I needed to start yesterday cause there isn't time to finish whew!
I actually got some parts/supplies ordered- some already came, and the others (backorderd) ought to be here anytime - what a nice change for me!

Cato

New User
Bob
Hey Trent at least you figured it out.

I haven't really done anything in 2 months either, but I do have some room for a couple of things and some shop furniture to build, but I just haven't felt the woodworking urge.

I have the tools, even have the wood for at least one small project, but just haven't gotten the bug to get back down in the shop.

Can't blame it on the weather really, because the basement shop is heated and cooled from our house system.

It won't be long coming though, I just can't force it at the moment or its not as much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS