Fibonacci gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A follow-up to a post by pviser on 5-30-12 about a new Woodpecker product: Fibonacci gauges.

It is an interesting topic that got my curiosity...like "what are these and what are they used for?" Too cheap to spend $50 for a 24" gauge and even cheaper to not spend $2 for a plan out of my monthly allowance from LOML! After a lot of looking and review of basic geometry and trigonometry the concept became clearer so it was time to make one.

SketchUp was immensely helpful to me, but it played a lot of mind games with me because of the angles, etc.

And the result is...

The actual measurements over a full 24" span are (14 7/8"/9 1/4") = 1.608 vs 1.618 theoretical. Close enough for guvm't work.

I'd round the actual measurements up or down for convenience anyway. So a 6' long tabletop would be (72"/1.618=44.5") wide theoretically. It'd probably end up at 42" or less in my hands. That 1.618:1 is a guideline, but not a rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeH

New User
Mike
That's great Jeff. Could you possible share your sketchup drawing in the downloads section?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm working on a small one out of brass for the lathe.

May be a while, got an order for 8 sets of chop sticks and 6 spoons. That'll keep me busy.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm working on a small one out of brass for the lathe.

May be a while, got an order for 8 sets of chop sticks and 6 spoons. That'll keep me busy.

Chop sticks remind me of the old fashioned black gum tooth brushes, just a little heftier. :confused:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's great Jeff. Could you possible share your sketchup drawing in the downloads section?

Can't do it because our site only supports downloading specific file extensions and .skp is not one of them. Also can't save SketchUp as a .pdf. Here's a new view that clarifies it. The critical dimensions are point to point o/c for drilling the holes (ganged up, taped together and drilled at one time). Easily scaled to a specific need.

Fibonacci_21.jpg

T

toolferone

I saw right away that the 1.618 is the "golden ratio" or "golden mean" I use all the time as a starting point in my designs.

DWSmith

New User
David
I do not know what this gauge is for and have never seen one before. Can someone educate me as to what it is, what it is used for and how it is used?

ehpoole

Ethan
I do not know what this gauge is for and have never seen one before. Can someone educate me as to what it is, what it is used for and how it is used?

It is basically a Golden Ratio divider. The relationship between the two sections (points AB and BC) will always be the Golden Ratio as you adjust the divider over its effective range.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

David,

Ethan is correct. The ratio is 1.618:1 and it represents the visual appeal of just about everything including architecture, art, music, and woodworking. It's a guideline but not a rule so your common sense and intuition should lead you.

http://lumberjocks.com/David/blog/1639

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xgw84Kwrh8

For example. Suppose your want to make a jewelry/keepsake box. So a 5" x 3" or 13" x 8" box would be about 1.6:1 as you view it from the top. The height of the latter box would be about (8"/1.6 = 5") so the visually appealing vertical ratio has been maintained at 1.6 too.

You really don't need the gauge. A pencil and calculator work fine so a 66" long table top becomes (66"/1.6 = 41.25" wide +/-).

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My apologies to all members. My last post in this thread came across sounding like I'd known all about the Golden Rule forever and you should have known too. But, I only found out about it a few weeks ago which prompted my curiosity to try building the gauge.

We're all learning and sharing our experiences so that's a good thing. :thumbs_up

MikeH

New User
Mike
My apologies to all members. My last post in this thread came across sounding like I'd known all about the Golden Rule forever and you should have known too. But, I only found out about it a few weeks ago which prompted my curiosity to try building the gauge.

We're all learning and sharing our experiences so that's a good thing. :thumbs_up

No need to apologize Jeff.

ehpoole

Ethan

I see no need to apologize for enthusiasm. :)

I would be far more concerned if our members showed a lack of enthusiasm... this site is all about promoting and encouraging woodworkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS