Fence alignment gage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I was looking at pictures posted by forum members and ran across a fence alignment gage. It was mounted on a router table in the miter slot. My question is why would you need to align the fence on a router table to the miter slot. I ask this question with all respect. My router table fence is a 36 inch long oak 2x4. I use two clamps and just tap on one end until the fence is where I need it in relation to the bit. I then just tighten down on the clamps. I just can not think of a time when I would need an alignment tool for a router fence.

I think this is one of those times where I learn once again just how little I know.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I think that some users use a sled in the miter slot to run pieces through. In this case the fence would have to be parallel to the miter slot.

My fence is similar to yours, I have a pivot point at one end and swing the other end to the correct distance and clamp it down. When I have need to run something on a sled, I run the sled along the fence rather than a miter slot.

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
George, I was thinking along the same lines as you. But then I thought that if you are using a miter guage or sled that rides in the miter slot, do you really need to also use the fence ??
Personally I have found that after installing a miter slot in my RT, I never use it, and wish I hadn't put it in there.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I was looking at pictures posted by forum members and ran across a fence alignment gage. It was mounted on a router table in the miter slot. My question is why would you need to align the fence on a router table to the miter slot. I ask this question with all respect. My router table fence is a 36 inch long oak 2x4. I use two clamps and just tap on one end until the fence is where I need it in relation to the bit. I then just tighten down on the clamps. I just can not think of a time when I would need an alignment tool for a router fence.

I think this is one of those times where I learn once again just how little I know.

I made one from an article in Woodsmith. At the time I was using my mitre slot in conjunction with the fence to cut some rabbet's in the end's of 4 inch wide 4/4 stock. My issue was getting the fence near close to parallel with the mitre slot.:BangHead: Seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I find that material riding on a sled held to the fence is much easier!

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
With some bits, you set the bearing flush to the fence (i.e. mullion bits) and if you need to use the miter gage for long piece support the fence/gage will need to be squared.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I built my first RT, faithfully following Norms plans. After never using it I thought about it and realized- why do I need a miter slot, it just weakens the table. Plus steel (miter guage bar) doesn't slide very smoothly in aluminum slots. So, when I built the second table top (for a new router lift) I did not include a miter slot.

As others have said, a sled registered against the fence can be just as or sometimes more effective. Some sleds do better in miter slots with certain types of cope & stick bits due to the bearing arrangement. Rarely, if ever, do you need to use both at the same time.

Also, a miter slot is good for anchoring standard feather boards. Without a slot you need to make long feather boards that must be clamped to the front/side table overhangs.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Should have had one more cup of coffee and read the latest issue of FWW before making the post. Even though they are using a shaper in the FWW article I think the principle is the same.

I use a sled sometimes but I just register it against the fence. I agree with most of the comments in the replies. I bought a router table top when I first started woodworking and it has a miter slot. I have never used it.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Should have had one more cup of coffee and read the latest issue of FWW before making the post. Even though they are using a shaper in the FWW article I think the principle is the same.

I use a sled sometimes but I just register it against the fence. I agree with most of the comments in the replies. I bought a router table top when I first started woodworking and it has a miter slot. I have never used it.

We sometimes use the miter slot to hold featherboards when we are cutting glue joints in boards of equal widths. Just to keep things tight against the bit and fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors