February 2015, NCWW Monthly Contest - Turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
February is turning month. Please submit photos of your turning projects. All projects are valued. Some will be among the best, the others will serve as an inspiration to all those getting ready to give turning a try. Sorry Fred, your box is not a turning :D

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Fred, if you spin your box around several times and take pics from different angles, you might get away w/ calling it a "turning" box. :rotflm:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
OK, I'll kick this off. Here's the harmonica mike I made earlier this year from Brazialian Blackwood.

mic12.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Well, i could spin it but i am afraid it may loose some of it's structural integrity ;)

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Here's a few turnings that have been completed.
The bottle stopper is Dalmata with a western saddle concho recessed in the top.
The pen is a Jr Gentleman made from segmented walnut, aluminum sheets and maple with aluminum rod accents.
The razor handles are made from Tru-stone, bloody basin and wild horse jasper.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1422834421631.jpg
    FB_IMG_1422834421631.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 171
  • FB_IMG_1422834355743.jpg
    FB_IMG_1422834355743.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 180
  • FB_IMG_1422834348194.jpg
    FB_IMG_1422834348194.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 203
  • FB_IMG_1422834411781.jpg
    FB_IMG_1422834411781.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 192

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
The half columns on each side were turned using a router jig, because I did not own a lathe. I glued the blank up with newspaper in the center. After I got the column to the shape that I wanted and sanded it, I used a chisel to split the coumn in half. Part of the newspaper was left on each side. It is made from hickory.

6-26-11_247.JPG

Steve H.

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
Here are three carbide tools I recently completed. I had so much fun using Phil's carbide turning tool at the plate turning workshop I figured I needed a set of my own. Handles are walnut, cherry and maple.
image.jpg
image.jpg

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Thanks for the compliment. The mike was for my brother in law who is in a west coast band. He uses it for playing harmonica at live performances. The mike element is a vintage Shure 99A86, one that I guess blues harmonica players really love. The pointy end of the mike is the volume control. Construction details are on my blog at http://jrwagner.org/blog/2014/08/05/first-harmonica-mike-project/ if you are interested.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Folks, don't forget to enter this contest. I know there are a lot of turners out there. You can win $25 and the admiration of your fellow woodworkers. You only have to enter. Everyone entering is a winner just by participating.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
image.jpg

16 inch cherry plate turned from a single 3/4 inch thick board shown wth 18 inch maple spoon with turned shaft and hand carved bowl. Two silver dollars for size comparison.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Folks, don't forget to enter this contest. I know there are a lot of turners out there. You can win $25 and the admiration of your fellow woodworkers. You only have to enter. Everyone entering is a winner just by participating.

Ken,
Don't you have some segmented turnings to enter?

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
This is from a couple years ago. Turned from a maple that fell during a storm. Carving is a combination of hand and Dremel.

SANY0314.JPG

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken,
Don't you have some segmented turnings to enter?

Just one so far. Not very special, but I'm planning a more intricate one now with a feature ring now that I have a full size lathe. Probably won't be done by the end of the month though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS