Exterior wood sealer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
This isn't a woodworking question but one of very great importance to me. I added onto a 20 x 20 shop about 18 months ago and haven't finished the outside. The first section is a statesman building. When we put the floor down and came on the outside with the T-1-11 siding the raw edge of the floor remained visible. It was to be sealed and covered with a horizonal board. Hasn't happened yet and the rain is now soaking into the raw edge. Question is , what can I put on the outside raw edge to seal it before putting the horizontal board in and sealing it? Also how would you seal the last board? Thanks for the help. This is on my to do list for the month of September.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would think that an exterior Spar Urethane would seal the end of the flooring from taking on any further moisture. An expoxy coating would work well also, but that may be more than you need if it will be covered with trim soon. Hopefully with the rainy August we've had it hasn't gotten too wet.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

If it were me, I would rub some 50 year caulk in the end grain with my fingers. Then I would caulk up the rest. If I'm understanding the question correctly.

b4man

New User
Barbara
What ever you decide on for a sealer be quite sure the wood is dry inside and out before you seal it.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I paid little attention to this when the shop was completed. Last winter, the first winter, I noticed some dampness on the north side of the building under a window and thought there might be a problem with the window. Kind of let it go because it wasn't much. This summer I realized what it was. Put it off and now know it has to be delt with. Now to find the proper time with the rains coming at us. If it isn't completely dry when I seal it then what?

zippymbr

New User
Update your profile with your name
If it were me, I would rub some 50 year caulk in the end grain with my fingers. Then I would caulk up the rest. If I'm understanding the question correctly.

That is the best option. I always seal the end grain of my corner boards when I install them and all cut edges with calk. I only buy the 50 yr $5 buck a tube type for exterior work. I do not want to have to go back and fix something later. I have had all the paints and primes fail on end grains but never calk.

jglord

New User
John
In addition to sealing the wood as others have said - is there some way to cover this with aluminum drip-edge? It should be under the siding and over any horizontal boards. The stuff is available in a variety of sizes and usually in white or brown. Its cheep and really adds to any other sealing to be done.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I will see if I can post a pic of the side of the building tomorrow. I know a little about furniture construction but nothing about housing construction even though I did the fetch and carry for my husband when this addition was put on. I don't know why the exterior siding didn't come down and cover this edge. I guess it wouldn't do to ask him now. :roll: I will look at the 50 year caulk and also see if I can possibly put a drip edge there. Hope to get this done this week before the rain sets in again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS