Experience With Wall Lumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Wall Lumber is a world renown lumber company, that's been in business for a long long time. I doubt you'll have any bad experiences with them. Steve Wall is a class act in my book and his company Wall Lumber is highly respected in the industry.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have done business with them for many years. Always has been an excellent experience even with having them shiping the stuff to me.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Very good experiances with them, but never ordered always drive up there:eusa_thin
I think its worth the drive even if you dont buy anything:-D
Wait a min, thats impossable if you go up there you always buy something:rolf:

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Not a problem with Steve Wall Lumber. They pretty much sell at retail prices. I've bought from him a few times and have always picked it up. Most of the domestic wood he sells is Select or better not FAS. (Select is a lower grade than FAS) So when comparing prices remember to compare grades. The 100 bdft special bundles is Select grade, short lengths and much of it is narrow. The walnut bundles are pretty much all steamed and are not real great for fine furniture. For small items it works pretty good. I've no experience with his cherry bundles.
All of his exotics are generally great wood. Some are priced competively and others are not as much. Just depends on the species.
Out of all the times I've seen Wall mentioned on internet forums, I can only remember hearing one or two negative comments and they didn't amount to much.
Rob

botebum

New User
Doug
Thanks everyone. I heard about them when someone on another forum asked about Wall. I was asking for him as much as for me. He is out of state and would have to have it shipped. He was interested in the walnut log cut deal. I would be more able to drive up and see for myself before buying.

Doug

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
If you live close enought to pick up your lumber, lucky you. I have bought several orders from Wall Lumber and have not had any complaints except for the shipping costs.

M

McRabbet

Sometimes it is worth the drive to go to Wall Lumber for specific purchases. Last year, I made the 450 mile round trip to get some 8/4 wide Bubinga for a specific project -- sure, I paid $379 for one board, but it was nearly 22" wide and 10' long and was $10/bd-ft. I also bought a smaller piece of 8/4 Bubinga and some 8/4 and 5/4 QSWO for another project. Why? Locally (60 mile radius), I could only find smaller pieces of Bubinga at 2-3 times the price per board-foot.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about Wall Lumber. I've only picked up... but I'd be willing to bet they would only ship stuff we'd all love to have.

Ray

J

jeff...

Sometimes it is worth the drive to go to Wall Lumber for specific purchases. Last year, I made the 450 mile round trip to get some 8/4 wide Bubinga for a specific project -- sure, I paid $379 for one board, but it was nearly 22" wide and 10' long and was $10/bd-ft. I also bought a smaller piece of 8/4 Bubinga and some 8/4 and 5/4 QSWO for another project. Why? Locally (60 mile radius), I could only find smaller pieces of Bubinga at 2-3 times the price per board-foot.

Rob you nailed it, well maybe glued it... well said... Steve is a good guy and runs a good business. The lumber business is a tough racket and you don't stay in business for 27 years, unless your a straight shooter that has a passion for lumber, and a desire to share it with others. Mr. Wall is all three, the real McCoy.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I have made the drive to Wall Lumber a few times now. I have enjoyed the experience. Prices on "local" domestic lumber is quite good compared to all other retail outlets I've visited. I've bought red oak, poplar, hard maple (ok, maybe not so local), soft maple and all have met the grade mark at a good price. Red oak and poplar are exceptional value for the money, particularly 1 Common red oak.

I did buy 100 bd ft walnut - a first time walnut buy for me - and it was steamed. I have since seen quite a bit of "not steamed" walnut and am disappointed with what I bought. I hope to eventually use the stock but don't know it is appropriate for LOML's DR table. (I don't like the chocolate-brown sapwood color. There is no mention on their website that the Manager's Special 100 bd ft walnut is steamed.) If you do the math, 100 bd ft is still a chunk of change. Caveat emptor?

I always check their stock of exotics and generally leave with a few sticks. No guarantee that their exotic wood prices are the lowest. Sometimes a good deal, sometimes not. I have bought bubinga, wenge, purpleheart from them and the prices at the time were quite good. The bubinga was very nice stuff, same for the bloodwood.

Cherry shorts packs (20 bd ft I think) are a pretty good grab. I probably only yield 50 percent on it but the price is low and I have been able to get some very nice color in these packs. I am personally not overly impressed with the select cherry but have felt the same way with most I've seen in NC. If someone has found a good source for KD cherry in NC I'd love to hear about it.

My advice for someone out of state would be to phone and ask questions. I believe Steve Wall to be a straight shooter.

Chuck

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ditto all of the positive comments about Steve Wall and Wall Lumber. I've been up there several times, and have made some significant purchases from Steve.

I've found him to be a straight shooter with a lot of integrity. His lumber selection really looks great too.

Scott

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I was at Wall lumber today and looked at All of The Walnut he had. It all looked really nice. I didnt see any that I wouldnt buy.( and I bought alot today)

CaptainCowie

New User
Marcus
I have nothing but good things to say about Wall Lumber. So far its the only place I buy from. It's worth the hour drive to talk with the great people that work there. :icon_thum

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Only positive comments here. Convenient location for me, as my in-laws live nearby in Madison.
Had some Red Oak shipped to me when I lived in Georgia; also a log run of Cherry that yielded enough lumber for a slant-front secretary desk and 2 Shaker-style pedestal tables. First quality lumber and very nice prices.
Been a while since I purchased from them, as I have found a local saw source, but would still recommend them anytime.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
I ordered some Red Oak hardwood and Red Oak plywood and had it shipped to Arizona about 6 years ago, when I lived there. It was over 100 board feet and most of it was top quality. There was some that was not up to par though, and I talked to Steve Wall about it and he issued me a store credit. Great people to deal with. Now that I live in NC, it is a fairly short drive to his store. Haven't been there yet, but some day.....

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay
Only to echo what everyone else has said. I buy all my lumber from them. If I really tried I might could find someone cheaper, but they have always treated me right and Steve is a first class guy. Also they have a slick double sided planer, out of about 3000 br ft last year, I cant recall one warped board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS