Ever have one of those projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I started a head board for a friend in May (see May 30 thread) and after a hot 2 1/2 months of hit and miss working on it I finally finished the @&*# thing. You will notice no pics. It was not worthy of being posted on this site. That's because I had the worst experience with the finishing process. It blothched, it streaked, it took its own sweet time drying and in general did its best to make me give up wood working. I was so disgusted with it that gave it to him only because he bought the lumber. Otherwise I would have tossed it. But its gone now thank goodness. Anybody else ever have one of those projects?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Yeah Larry, every once in a while I beat a dead horse and I know that I should just walk away from it. Sometimes if you can leave it alone time can change your perspective on a project, sometimes it can't.

But I've got to say that knowing that it happens to you, after having seen some of your beautiful work, I realize it can happen to anybody. I used to think that it was just me:gar-La;.

Keep up the good work,
Jimmy:mrgreen:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Larry, sorry for the "heartburn" on the headboard, BUT, this is one of the most encouranging posts ever to me.

If YOU, (Compass Rose) can have an experience like that, then maybe there IS hope for me! :icon_thum

Have a better day and week!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Larry:

As Travis Porter loves to needle me about, I have been working on thread post shop stool for over 4 years! :eek: It started well. The three curved legs came out great. Then I nicked an edge of the seat, then I left the post a tad to large so that when I tried to hend thread it I tore up the threads, then the corresponding threaded hole in cross-peice was not centered...:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:.

So I put it all away. I took it out about 6 months ago and decided to remake the cross-peice. Planing, jooining and glue up were a breeze. Then LOML interupts me while I am laying out the position of the hole. When I return I make the hole and guess what (drum role)....I made the hole off-center again!!!!! :BangHead::dontknow:

So it has ben put away again. Someday....

Doug

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Yes I have and I can only offer my sympathies in resposne to your experience. Don't give up though. Finishing is not the thing most people think of when woodworking is mentioned but it is at least as important to the overall project outcome as design, wood selection, machining, and assembly. Due to experiences like yours I have of late taken a small seminar (the one sponsored by the TWG in Raleigh) on finishing techniques. It's was a revelation. Lots a variables to consider, and frankly I have already started forgetting some of what was presented. It would be good if your post leads to others sharing success stories so others might pick up s few good pointers on finishing and various application issues. Thanks for sharing your story.

cpw

New User
Charles
I can't remember a one project that didn't have some sort of snafu associated with it. I just think of it as the price of experience.

woodrat

New User
Archie
I'm just about finished with my project that has gone the way
you have described. Hopefully it will be out of my life by Friday.

No pic's for the same obvious reasons.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Mine was last-minute BS boxes for the neighbors this past Christmas. I have not made a project since.

I absolutely hated every part of making those doggone things. I keep thinking I'll come around. It's been 7 months now. Maybe when the weather cools down a bit. I like working in the shop when it's cool outside.

Chuck

Shamrock

New User
Michael
I'm in the middle of one such project right now. I'm trying to finish up the top to my miter-saw stand and here's the day's tally of things gone wrong, all of which have to do with installing threaded inserts. 1) Found out after drilling my 1st piece that I couldn't use a 7/16 in forstner (directions recommended a 15/32)-the 1/32 of an inch actually made a difference and the wood bulged where the insert went. soo... off to Klingspors to find a 15/32 bit- They had no single bit in that size, the only one they had was part of a $34 set, so I though I'd try to find it elsewhere-after 3 other stores with no luck went back to Klingspors and bought the set.:dontknow:While I was there for the 2nd time thought I'd pick up some zip bolts to help cinch my 2 pieces of MDF together. Got home and found out they require a special drive bit which of coarse Klinspors doesn't carry any more because it's been discontinued. Called Woodworkers supply after finding out they actually have said bit and paid $4.85 for the bit and $7.00 to ship it to me:eusa_booh. They were also out of the 35mm forstner bit I needed to have to install the zip bolts. Ok, so back to the inserts-got started now having the 15/32 bit and managed to cut the same piece wrong about 8 times (**** the 1/16 of an inch). Finally got everything to work about 8:30pm and decided to call it a day. Mabye I'll try again this weekend!

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps-or for that matter a 15/32in or a 35mm bit:gar-La;

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
After reading everyones posts, I'm starting to feel better now. LOML has instructed me to build a little side table for her. I've got started on it and everything seems to be going fine. Maybe I won't sell all my toys...er tools just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS