Ebonizing Red Oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
So I'm reframing some artwork for my mother. She wants the frames dark to match the art. I've gone the route of steel wool/vinegar and I'm just not getting the depth I'm looking for.

My question(s) is:
-What would be the best way to get the red oak as close to black as possible (without using paint)?
-If using dye, what would be the best way to apply (direct or mixed with another media)?
-what would be the best top coat to use to seal in the color?

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks guys.
:gar-Bi

eyekode

New User
Salem
Rick,
I have had good luck with transtint + black stain on some lighter colored wood. Neither one by themselves give pitch black but the combination is great. I haven't tried this on oak myself but I think it is a pretty common treatment. Good luck and keep us posted!
Salem

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
You can wash the wood with a solution of logwood extract, available from Woodfinishing Enterprises (woodfinishingenterprises.com) then apply your solution made from letting rusty iron marinate in white vinegar. By the time the second solution is dry your wood will be black black. The grain will not be hidden as with a stain. Use steel wool to remove any raised grain, then you can finish it the way you would any other project. Waterlox is often my choice. Your options will not be limited by the application of the dye.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
The articles I've read on ebonizing mention using quebarcho bark (which is sold by the same site as the logwood). Says there its a source of tannin so that makes sense within the whole process.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Thanks a bunch guys. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge on this site. You guys are awesome. I'll let you know which way I go and post some pictures.:gar-Bi

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Use a waterbased or alcohol based dye. Then apply a couple of applications of a pigment oil bases stain like Minwax or other pigment stain.

As always, test it out on some scrap wood first.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Well I read the article by Brian Boggs and he details a lot of difficulties with the quebarcho bark. Someone else mentioned tea which is also a source of tannic acid and should work substantially the same way. I haven't tried either of these, but I haven't had any of these problems using the logwood extract and iron oxide mordant combination. Brazilwood is another traditional plant dye that will give black color when used with an iron oxide mordant. The color is not as true black, but seems to have more depth. I apply both of these solutions with a paper towel or sponge, allow to dry overnight, apply the mordant using paper towel or sponge, allow to dry overnight, steel wool to remove raised grain, finish as you would raw wood. Since you've already started with the iron oxide solution you can probably just continue with any of these methods right over what you've done without having to sand back to bare wood to start over.

Water based India Ink or black leather dye will make it black too. I haven't used a mordant with this, but experimenting with a vinegar wash or iron oxide (vinegar with rusty iron or steel wool) would probably be worthwhile.

I've used black aniline dyes, but haven't been satisfied with the depth of color. The alcohol soluble dyes are likely to be less light fast than the water based.

Any of these solutions containing water are going to raise the grain on almost any wood. It will be worse on oak than on some others because of it's open nature. I've found that steel wool deals with this pretty effectively. Sanding will remove the raised grain but will likely remove enough of the surface that you'll lose some of your color. Steel wool is supposed to work like thousands of little knives shearing off the raised grain fibers without removing the surface (it may burnish it some). Keep the steel wool sharp by continually turning it inside out to expose fresh steel wool. Remember that there is only so much grain to raise so rinsing with water and following with steel wool before you begin staining may also help. If you do the water rinse followed by sanding you probably create a new surface from which to raise the grain.

Since most of these methods involve changing the chemistry of the wood surface there may be some variation because the underlying chemistry of the wood is not perfectly consistent. Testing on some scrap is always advisable.

I love George Franks' books on wood finishing. He discusses dyes at length. Check out Adventures in Wood Finishing. It's a nice introduction.

Have fun, Jim

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jimmy I tried that once - I should have been taken out back and been beaten like a red headed step child - India Ink was one of the more stupid things I tried...

Here's the thread --->http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26358

A man is gonna do what a man is gonna do - but you won't see this man mess with India Ink ever again...

It workks, but I do understand you. Not only does it raise the grain and ebonize, but it finds every little nook and cranny that it can and deposits itseld there. Once it dries on yor skin....:BangHead:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS