Dye vs Stain for Maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retiredmarine20

New User
John
I am redoing the staircase, treads, risers and all the other stuff in some nice maple that my wifes uncle got for me. At the point right now where I need to decide to dye or stain. I know maple is a pain and have been reading on here and other places. I saw a beautiful table that Striker had done and that is the finish that we are looking for. Some of the wood has a little birdseye in it and we want that to be highlighted. Be patient with me while I figure this out. The wife had some old stain and she tried it out on some scrap and wants to go with a classic walnut. I on the other hand would rather use a golden maple dye, BLO and then 3-4 coats of poly. This is just from seeing finished work on here and other website.
1. I have never dyed before. Is there anyplace that talks about it on here?
2. Will I need to use a conditioner prior to the dye?
3. After the BLO should I use a dewaxed shellac prior to the poly? Seen conflicting opinions on this.

If Striker sees this please contact me if you can.

Thanks All

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I would go with a dye on maple, but it will fade in too much sun. You might want to move the shellac up before the BLO to prevent blotching, or at least test the oil on a sample of your wood. Some maple is susceptible to blotching.

striker

New User
Stephen
John,
Thanks or the kind reference. Only to happy to share anything I can concerning the table finish. Hopefully others will comment on best finish for staircase.

PM sent
Stephen

4yanks

New User
Willie
Others have posted great advice. I also use Jeff Jewitt's book(s) as a reference. His finishing techniques for maple are my favorite. However, as someone else mentioned, aniline dyes are more subject to fading with exposure to UV light than pigments. I imagine your staircase will have some sunlight exposure, so this should be a consideration for you. The good news is that maple darkens with exposure to UV light. My recommendation would be for you to use the technique you outlined in your original post. I would not use the dewaxed shellac. I use a similar scheme when I finish maple (figured and otherwise) and find it to be very pleasing. With a lighter maple dye I think you will find that the fading due to UV exposure will be offset by the darkening of the maple. Good luck.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
John,

If you are trying to highlight the woods figure and retain the bird's eye and other details as much a possible, use dye. A pigment stain by definition will tend to cloud the grain a bit. As far as fading is concerned, I don't think it will be a big enough issue in your situation to matter much. If you are really worried about fading, you can use a water based aniline dye, although the water based dyes are more difficult to use than the NGR (alcohol based) varieties. The water based dyes are more color fast. There is a reason why the very best wood finishers use dyes rather than pigment stains almost exclusively.

I notice you're just down the road from me. You should stop by sometime if you're down this way.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Retiredmarine20

New User
John
It doesn't get much sun so I am not concerned about the UV on it. The only actual worry I have is making it to slick on the treads. Not looking to get the ski slope from Vancouver in the Boro! Going to get the supplies and start working the scrap that I have. I'll post pictures as the job progresses. Thanks to all for the advice and help. Great website and group of people.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
The following is a great recipe for finishing figured maple. I don't know who to credit it to or where it came from.:thumbs_up

1. dye with 50/50 mixture of honey maple and amber maple dye
2. sand back everything once with 220 grit
3. dye it again with the same 50/50 mixture
4. oil with BLO and some turps - I like turps better and Mineral spirits - add some japan dryer
5. 2 coats of orange shellac
6. sand back smooth
7. several coats of nitro-cellulose
8. sand between coats
9. 0000 steel wool and wax

Retiredmarine20

New User
John
Matt,
I will take you up the offer soon. I have a million questions to ask you. Biggest undertaking I have ever done and I want to make sure it is right. Besides I won't have to answer to the bosslady if I mess it up. Send me a PM if you want with directions and a number. I am right off of 24 in Swansbore.

Thanks
John

John,

If you are trying to highlight the woods figure and retain the bird's eye and other details as much a possible, use dye. A pigment stain by definition will tend to cloud the grain a bit. As far as fading is concerned, I don't think it will be a big enough issue in your situation to matter much. If you are really worried about fading, you can use a water based aniline dye, although the water based dyes are more difficult to use than the NGR (alcohol based) varieties. The water based dyes are more color fast. There is a reason why the very best wood finishers use dyes rather than pigment stains almost exclusively.

I notice you're just down the road from me. You should stop by sometime if you're down this way.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors